2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

cut my hood to make a scoop?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 06:21 AM
Default cut my hood to make a scoop?

Hey guys, i was thinking about cutting a hole in my hood, probably a bad idea. but my GSX's engine bay gets so damn hot, i was thinking if i cut a hole right where the cam goes, like at the beginning, about 2'x 4' it would work, then i would put in a mesh. like i said, probably not a good idea, but the thought of putting a plastic hood scoop on my car makes me cringe and i donthave the cash for a new hood, even though i want a CFone. please help me out with some plans, or maybe if any of you have done it before? Also, i need help putting in my fuel pressure gauge cuz Imretarded and cant figure it out.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:15 AM
Default RE: cut my hood to make a scoop?

You need a vent not a scoop. Since you're tight on cash, I would suggest to raise the hinged area of your hood with 2-4 washers (depending on thickness of washers and bolt length) and pull the rubber rain guard off at the back of the hood...when you open your hood, you'll see what I'm talking about.
It helped bring my engine temps down when I did it and it doesn't even look bad or tacky and best of all, it's almost free (give or take a couple of bucks).

Is your fuel gauge electric or analog? A little more info on that one. Do you have an AFPR too or is this just to see what your fuel system is pressuring to at stock levels? A 1G should be in the area of 37psi and a 2G is in the 43.5psi area.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:06 AM

I concur, venting is the best way to bring temps down, since you are low on cash, that is most definatly the best way to do it. If you do find yourself with a couple hundred bucks laying around, I'd go with either an invader or evo cf hood. they work beautifully

Old 02-14-2007, 05:44 AM

thats cool i guess, but i was hoping to make it so my hood didnt look like it was coming off and just get a little more style from the stock metal. i was thinging of getting maybe so bmw fender vents and placing them at the top, or something, i dunno, i need more ideas. cutting my hood is fine, im not worried

Old 02-14-2007, 09:21 AM

Another perfectly good stock body part going to ****....
why dont you give me that hood and ill give you mine with the dent in it & you can cut it up.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:06 AM

LMFAO haha.... if i were you... if you don't want to vent it (which will cool the engin bay off more than a scoop) i'dgo to a junk yard and get a differnt hood and brainstorm on that!! if you screw up your hood you are effed until you find another one.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:06 AM

yeah thats a good point, maybe ill grap a crap one from the wreckage yard near my house. the pain is easy to match cuz its black, so if i can cut it right its all good. i wanted to vent the hood, but i want to do it in a stylish, but not ricey way.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:02 AM

well it's hard to make a scoop that's symetrical on the 2g's b/c of the hump on the right side.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:13 PM

yeah i wouldnt be doing it in the middle of the hood, i was thinking more like at the front or in the back by the washer nozzles, i love that aggressive bump for the cams.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:20 AM

you mean clearance needed for the cam gears.

Quick Reply: cut my hood to make a scoop?