2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Day & Life of a DSM

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 02:57 AM
Default Day & Life of a DSM

Well today my car decided to rob my wallet once again. I am suspecting my tranny is wacked out. Crusing on the highway and was getting off. There was a red light so i decided to just coast in neutral. Light turn green and i am about to make a turn. Shifted into 3rd and accelerated. The car moved about 500 meters then my rpms shot up and then i heard a clunk so i was like wtf. It must have slipped out of 3rd so i take it out of gear and go back and nothing. So i drop to 2nd gear accelerate hard and go into 4th and nothing.. So far the only gear that work are 1,2,5. Reverse is funky was reversing slowly and the car jerked and went forward.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Banned
Default RE: Day & Life of a DSM

Ouch that sucks beyond description. I feel for ya

Old 11-08-2006, 10:43 AM

thats a fun job with an AWD car

Old 11-08-2006, 11:32 AM

that clunk may have been ur actual gear going byebye, a friend of mine in a WRX just had the same thing happen to him in 3rd, he was getin on it a lil bit and he heard some kind of loud bang or clang or something... his gear actually exploded... he's getting a gear upgrade kit for like 1300, not sure if they make one for the eclipse or not...

Old 11-09-2006, 01:33 AM

Sad to say ill miss driving. Not even 2 weeks after replacing all lower ball joints this happen. Happened when this dude was tailgating me then passed me and i felt like speeding up so he couldn't switch back into my lane. ahh well. Any suggestions on what to do. Rebuild or New transmission. Or is there a better transmission that can be swapped? Did a little search and there not much mention.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:03 AM

well my tranny i think is gone too, i reversed, then put it into first, and wut do u kno? POP!!!! the hood went pop, wth the hell......

Old 11-09-2006, 04:30 AM

rebuilds arent too ridiculously too much

Old 11-09-2006, 12:00 PM
Banned

i doubt that is able to be rebuilt from what it sounds lol.

Take it out and take a look!

Old 11-11-2006, 06:33 AM

Your RPMs weren't that high, so I can't see the housing being destroyed. Unless you have a high horsepower GSX, I recommend just getting it rebuilt back to specs. If you have a high horsepower GSX, then you can get one rebuilt or bought from TRE or Shep racing. They aren't cheap mind you, but it is an option. No, there isn't another tranny you can swap into your car unless it's for that motor.

Old 11-19-2006, 04:57 AM

LOL. well my car was sitting for 2 weeks went to start it and it was chugging and struggling to start. But it did and after it warmed up it sounded normal again. But i was just playin with the gears and it felt like i had all 5 gears when i was going through the gears on the first check. Second time going through it just dropped in and didn't feel like i engaged anything. I am gonna test this tomorrow i am hoping there just somethin wrong with my shifter.

Quick Reply: Day & Life of a DSM