2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Day & Life of a DSM

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Day & Life of a DSM

It always seems 3rd is the one that gives the problems... I had a trans problem once. Cost me $500 to have a junkyard trans swapped into my Sundance. I was driving along shifted to second then went to hit 3rd and it wouldn't go in. So I tried again wouldn't go in then I SLAMMED it into 3rd POP in it went. Time to hit 4th and I couldn't get out of 3rd. Ended up driving in 3rd all the way to the shop (Stop'n'go in 3rd is TERRIBLE. Tore my clutch up doin that shyt.

I'd be willing to bet the trans casing is fine and you MIGHT be able to salveage 1st and 2nd. Best bet is take it to a trans shop and let them pull it apart and see what they can do. Sometimes you can get a good price by calling around (Mom had a Caddy that blew out 2nd spectacularly she called around and finally one shop she found said over the phone $700 and they'd salvage what parts they could. Found out in the end that she got a 100% rebuilt trans in an automatic Caddy because 2nd self destructing damaged everything else in there. The only thing they could salvage was the casing. BUT They were true to their word and did it for $700.).

Old 11-19-2006, 11:04 PM
Default RE: Day & Life of a DSM

Well decided to take the chance to drive the car to a friend house and leave it in the garage instead of outside exposing it to alot of bird poop. Also it rain alot and my sun roof is leaking so that no good. But yah the car went a little less than 1/4 a mile and i was in second gear and i heard a little pop and clunk but it was still going in 2nd but i heard something clunking or objects hitting each other. Faster i went the faster the sound appears. So i turned around and went back. And 3rd and 4th are done. Reverse doesn't want to reverse. Very jerky.