2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

decisions decisions

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Default decisions decisions

ok well 1st off I have a95' RSim getting rid of to buy a gsx or gst. Of course I'm terified of crankwalk so i wanna do the 6 bolt swap since i do have the funds to do so. i found a perfectly rebuilt 6 bolt for 1400 .2 overbore all new acces's. would it be cheaper to buy that convert the parts from the 4g63 from 2g over to it or just buy the block and build it up? I wanna go with the 2g head so i have no misfire. also i wanna state I'm not looking to make over 375-400 hp in the long run. is the 6 bolt swap even worth it? I'm not going to put the forged internals in or anything. iwill stay with a 16G or 18G.should i do it just incase; to add value to my car?? . i also found a very nicly rebuilt 2g 4g63 for 2200 should i just buy that drop it in and say to hell with it? opinions please. another thing would be can i just drop the 1g 4g63T into the 2g? again opinions

Old 05-25-2008, 12:22 AM
Default RE: decisions decisions

well, i will start off by saying. most likely you will not get crankwalk. but, if you do ever get it you could always swap the motor then. that is just my opinion though. you could also buy one with the swap already done. the 7 bolt is a better motor aside from speculation of crankwalk.

you are not looking to push uover 400hp. your motor can handle that if you tune it right.. and modify it properly. also, if i were you... i would go with a 20g turbo. i would go with the super20g... but that is just my opinion. it comes with a direct boltup kit, internal wastegate is flawless. also, it is an amazing turbo (far better then regular 20g). you wont have to be maxing it out, but will be very usable and proper for your setup. it spools up pretty quick, not much lag, and should hit full boost by 3500rpm. it would be a better turbo for the numbers you are trying to acheieve while still having awesome bost characteristics.

that is my opinion there. stick with the 7 bolt and build that. if you crankwalk.. well... then at least you have all your other mods and just need to re-build your motor better and stronger and it will be like new. no need in replacing a perfectly good motor when you could spend your money more wisely. er umm.. for more performance. =)

btw, i have a 1998 eclipse gst. 7 bolt. over 200k miles. used to run a 16g with all supporting mods... but parked the car 6 months ago for my super20g build. even more mods,custom fabrication work... lots of money. that i did not waste on a 6 bolt swap. that is just my opinion though.

I am not gonna promise you it won't happen, but it is far less likely to happen then you would think. and those 7 bolts and damn good motors! especially when you build em and mod the shyt outta em!

Old 05-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Banned

Don't repalce a perfectly good motor. If it crankwalks, then repalce it. Why fix something that doesn't need fixing just yet?

Also, the engines you have been finding are pretty high priced. You can find one with about 30k on it on eBay for 500ish.... if you chose to swap it out.

Another important thing to remember is, generally mods don't add any value to your car. Unless you own a Supra or Skyline.... or unless you have a perfectly built DSM (Trans, Motor... + other mods etc..)

I would also advise against getting a 20g with an internal wastegate. That thing will boost creep like a BITCH.

Personally, I would go for something like a PTE 50trim with an external wastegate.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:46 PM

well should i just rip the block out and rebuild it anyways i mean i dont want something to happen when i dont have any money.... i mean i have the money now for when i buy the car im hopefully buying it by the end of june. ill have about 6G left over after its baught if i get the one im looking at... and pointers on making this a mean DD

Old 05-26-2008, 04:56 PM

have you seen the super 20g turbo sebba? its internal wastegate doesn't have boost creep. that is the reason they designed it the way that they did 10cm housing.. it will not boost creep. why would you want a 50 trim? it doesn't produce enough punch at the numbers he is wanting to push, its a top end turbo.. the 20g is more efficient at the power he is looking for, and it spools up alot faster. it is an awesome turbo! you should read up on it a bit more, before you reccomend a 50 trim over it as a 375-400hp max. daily driver.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:35 PM
Banned

If you say so.

Then do the 6 bolt swap.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:42 PM

ok so i get the 20G part but first you said dont do the swap and then go ahead and do it... should i just buy adiff 2G block and go from there (machined and what not...)

Old 05-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Banned

No, a 7 bolt is a 7 bolt. Don't bother with them.

I said no at first because its cheaper, but it sounds like money isn't a big deal so why the hell not.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:20 PM

well, if you have 6 grand to throw at the car then it wouldnt be a bad idea to switch to a 6 bolt. in my personal opinion you should definitley buy an already built motor if you are gonna be doin the swap anyway, just make sure you get higher then stock compression pistons in your 6 bolt if you are gonna beef it up at all help it be more street useable.. (which i would also reccomend if you have the money and are wanting your car to be fail proof). i would get a hand picked to your needs (as best you can) fully built motor.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:57 AM

OK here is the conclusion i am getting from this. So buy the 6 bolt built already i fond one with mostly stock internals but with a 9:1 compression i dont know how close to stock that is but it said that its higher comperssion. buy that maybe throw forged rods in and a performance rebuilt head maybe sell the parts i take out for cheap to add to the cost i am going to pay. do the swap get a 20G of ourse with bigger injects... then take it to the dyno and tune it... but what i was just reading and concidering about was a 7 bolt completly rebuild forged internals and a 4 angle valve jobported and polished head and .2 over bore and i forgot the name but some fancy head gasket and studs.... 2100.00 0 miles on the rebuilt engine all new accesories. i was reading one of the previousreplies on this post and you guys say the 7 bolt is a damn good motor... what would i want to do with these two options. i like the fact of being safe from crank walk but it cant happen to everyone cause i see these 600hp 7 bolts and there boosting 27psi no problem i know there built but no matter how built they can be bearings are bearing and you can spin even the best ones... i might just drop a mean 7 bolt in there keep it original and clean looking i dont like the look of everything all hacked up from the swap....

Quick Reply: decisions decisions