2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Do you believe

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Default Do you believe

Ok first let me start I know very little about the inner workings of automobiles, and engines to say the least... I can change my oil, spark plugs and tell a mechanic when something is not right, other then that I have a good mechanic... So I was running through E-bay and stumbled accross this, I know there is a similar product out there called the Tornado, but My question is this... Do these things work, ie do you get better Gas miliage and More Horse Power from them.... Any one... Care to explain!!???

Mitsubishi Eclipse Gas Saver

Old 08-02-2006, 09:51 PM
Default RE: Do you believe

My bro inlaw made his own one day for ****s and giggles for his 2.5 avenger. He didnt think it would do anything but he said he did get a few more miles a gallon. He just modified some peice of duct work from some kind of heating or cooling thing found at a hardware store for little to nothing. Looks exactly like it too. If you want I can ask him exactly what it was he got and you could make your own. I wouldnt suggest buying an actual "tornado", waste of money if you ask me.

The simplist little thing and the guy is prolly making millions because he cut slots in some tin and bent them. LOL why dint i think of that.....

Old 08-02-2006, 10:12 PM
Banned

Its all a load of ****. It just restricts the flow of air into the engine and prolly causing you to lose MPG and power. There could be many reasons for your brother getting better MPG other than the contraption he put in his intake.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:20 PM

you are right.. there could be a lot of things that improved it but its stayed the same since he put it in. and for something that cost maybe a dollar to make I do see any harm in trying it. I really dont think it restricts anything nor do I think you loose MPG from it.

Dont get me wrong for the most part i think they are a load of crap and a waste of money and would never buy one.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:21 PM
Banned

anything obstruting the path of air flow creates RESISTANCE. Slow... where are you when i need your technical explanations?

Old 08-02-2006, 10:26 PM

OMG i really dont think that thing makes any measurable resistance of air flow. But i guess we may need some technical explanation.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:24 PM

ORIGINAL: slvr_eclipse

OMG i really dont think that thing makes any measurable resistance of air flow.

are you serious? anything in the path of air is resistance. The purpose of that stupid tornado thing is to put a spin on the air so you get more of it in the cylinders or some crock like that. It doesnt work because you simply cant put a spin on AIR using a little piece of shaped metal.
The reason they sell it on tv is so they can get it to the masses, because most people are pretty much just stupid, and will believe anything they see on tv
"Oh its on tv! they cant sell it on tv if it didnt really work"[&:]

Heres an idea. go get one, duct tape it to your face, and see if it makes breathing easier for you.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Sebba

anything obstruting the path of air flow creates RESISTANCE. Slow... where are you when i need your technical explanations?
lol well....

The idea behind this "toy" is that it causes a sprial effect on incomming ambient air to give a better air to fuel mixture. The fact of the matter is that little piece of metal isant causing enough of a spiral effect on the incomming air to do any good. Most of the time the incomming air is forced to make a series of bends before it reaches the injectors where its met with the fuel and eventually mixed in the cylander. Whats a kick in the pants is that your throttle body thats on every car even when all the way open( where its the least restrictive ) is enough of a turblent effect on incomming air to break any spiral of air that can be created. Basically you could have 30 of these things going into your intake but once it hits the throttle body plate its all jumbled up anyway. Plus intake manifolds are desgined from the manifacture to "sweril" air some what to get a good air/fuel mix.

Although the tornado piece is a ripoff the idea and princaples behind it work. For example mitsu makes what was called a syclone intake manifold (dunno what 4g63 it came on but my buddy has one) Its desgined to make a tornado effect and the scary thing is that it works. After running his car for a week with it on he was replacing his o2 housing and the inside showed a sweril pattern caused by the carbon deposits, basically you could tell it was working. Honestly I think its a waste of time and effort seeing how everything is compressed by the piston anyway. Your better off buying a K&N drop in filter.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:45 PM
Banned

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA i actually laughed my *** off reading that.... still am infact LMAO.

Old 08-03-2006, 12:44 AM

all you have to do is get one of those to spin and you can have your own electric supercharger. lol

Quick Reply: Do you believe