2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

double piston brakes ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 07:34 AM
Default double piston brakes ??

what are double piston brakes? are these types a good mod for a 97 gs-t?

Old 08-23-2006, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: double piston brakes ??

the double piston refers to the caliper. where it has dual pistons to help for more of a solid stopping and to reduce uneven brake pad wearing by applying force to the whole brake pad. Ive heard that its much better for braking, but i think its more of a luxery than a neccessity, unless you have a really high performance car.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:18 PM

there are also 4 pistons too. those are for big break kits and hard breaking applications two calipers on each side of the disc.

Old 08-24-2006, 05:37 AM

where do the brembo brakes fall? double piston? 4 piston?
brembo brakes are nice but too much expensive. what other aftermarket brakes can i get to replace the stock ones?

Old 08-24-2006, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

im not sure but if i had to guess i would say double

Old 08-24-2006, 01:06 PM

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer
Ive heard that its much better for braking, but i think its more of a luxery than a neccessity, unless you have a really high performance car.
These along with larger rotors are also helpful if not a necessity if you plan on putting on larger wheels( like 20" plus) as it takes more brake force to slow the additional rotating mass- if I explained that right. Basically, if you are putting "Dubs" on a vehicle, you need to upgrade the brake system also.

EDIT: BTW, many newer cars will have dual piston front calipers stock- mine does, but has rear drums

Old 08-24-2006, 01:25 PM

ORIGINAL: romanrapido

where do the brembo brakes fall? double piston? 4 piston?
brembo brakes are nice but too much expensive. what other aftermarket brakes can i get to replace the stock ones?
Brembo brakes will be a 4 piston caliper setup- typically the leading edge has a larger piston than the rest. You can also think about upgrading just your pads and rotors if the calipers are too much. You can check out Wilwood brake calipers at Wilwood.com, I'm not sure about a price comparison though.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:21 PM

my bro put some race application break pads on his car and it stops way faster than when he had just the regular break pads on. but they squeek more when you're first wearing them in.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 98eclpsrider

my bro put some race application break pads on his car and it stops way faster than when he had just the regular break pads on. but they squeek more when you're first wearing them in.
Thats why you can get brake lube that helps for that

Old 08-24-2006, 04:58 PM

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

ORIGINAL: 98eclpsrider

Thats why you can get brake lube that helps for that
ya we put that on them, it just doing what all breaks do when you put new ones one squeek a little bit, it was like for a day of driving it around though nothing long or anything.

Quick Reply: double piston brakes ??