2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

downpipe question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Default RE: downpipe question

I live in PA and have no problem running a Test pipe. knock on wood.. never have been questioned about it. i just switch out the pipe with the stock one when i go for emissions every year and reset the check engine light and im good to go.. this also gives you a chance to check everything under the car and make sure nothing is loose

Old 02-04-2008, 06:33 PM

I have a 3 inch downpipe I bought brand new for my '99 GS-T I'll sell to ya...it's still in the box...I never installed it cuz shortly after I bought it my buddy offered to sell mehis whole full 3 inch Apexi N1 system fro pretty cheap so I bought that...so the downpipe I originally purchased is justsitting up in the attic.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:04 PM

shreff the n1 system is nice but pretty sure that it still has the downpipe.. (comes with a little adapter to fit to stock pipe) i dont know if you have taken your car yet this year for inspection but i would get it done before you take the time to put in the down pipe cause unless you know someone or can get stickers it sucks having to put the cat back on every year. but you should be very happy with the sound of the N1

Old 02-05-2008, 01:48 AM

OK, if you have 2.5" exhaust can you put a 3" DP on it? What do you need to do it?

Old 02-05-2008, 10:10 AM

Johnny, you got something crossed up man....I bought this original downpipe BEFORE I bought the N1 system which came witha downpipe as well cuz it's a full turbo-back system..so now I have 2 downpipes, one is on the car that came with the N1 and the other laying up in the attic that I bought when I had bright ideas of piecing together a 3 inch system. So that one is for sale now. I work at a dealership and I have it inspected there while I'm working and it passes every year man...I also welded in a high flow cat so I wouldn't have to worry about it not passing with a test pipe...So, yeah my '99 GS-T is perfectly legal in the state of Pennsylvania and you know it is when a dealership inspects it cuz those guys go over EVERYTHING with a magnifying glass and it passes....Where at in PA do you live??? I'm about a little over an hour north of Pittsburgh. NO emissions requirement in my county either, just a visual.

Dorian, I can't remember exactly how my downpipe mounted up cuz I put it on like 2 years ago but I'm pretty positive I didn't have to modify anything and it just bolted right up...I think it starts off as 2.5 inch from the manifold for mountingpurposesand then goes to 3 inch. Dude, I'll sell ya mine for like $100...it's brand new, still inthe box...I took it out once to look it over and that's it. Let me know if you're interested and I'll go out and get some pics when I get time...I bought it for a '99 GS-T so if you think it will work you can have it.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:39 AM

I dont think the downpipe off of a gst will work on a gsx. they have completely different exhaust paths.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: bestwiseguy

I dont think the downpipe off of a gst will work on a gsx. they have completely different exhaust paths.
correct, they are different

Old 02-05-2008, 06:39 PM

I live in the coatesville, chester county area.. that must be nice to live in an emission free county every year i have to crawl under the car and switch the pipe out because it blows the check engine light on. i know it will pass with it on if it wasnt for that. i wonder now if i could just reset the light right before they hook up the computer. my buddy runs the car so i can get away with a little but his boss isnt really into shadyness

Old 02-06-2008, 09:49 AM

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

ORIGINAL: bestwiseguy

correct, they are different
Wellllllllll shiiiiiiittttttt, ain't dat a b!tch! Well if anyone on here owns a GS-T, I have a brand new 3 inch downpipe for sale I'll let go for pretty cheap....it's just collecting dust in the attic.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:52 AM

Hell i might be interested, what brand is it.

Quick Reply: downpipe question