2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Is an eclipse a good first car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 01:09 AM
Default RE: Is an eclipse a good first car?

NO kid buy a new Saturn it's1. new 2. under warranty 3. gonna last 4. good on gas 5. low payments and insurance 6. safe take a look at the new SKY they have the convertible it kinda looks like a Corvette.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:24 AM
Banned

RIIIIIIIIGHT............

Old 12-18-2006, 10:08 AM

yea... it's just like a vette. . . minus the looks, sounds, name, performance, half the HP. .. other than that, yea, they are similar!

Old 12-18-2006, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: phyukewe

NO kid buy a new Saturn it's1. new 2. under warranty 3. gonna last 4. good on gas 5. low payments and insurance 6. safe take a look at the new SKY they have the convertible it kinda looks like a Corvette.
not sure i understand the logic here at all. This is someone that probably cant afford much for a first car and your telling them to buy a new saturn, which i kinda get if its the cheap 11k ones but then you mention a sky which is not cheap at all compared to a 2g or 3g. And then you even compare it to a vette.

Old 12-20-2006, 10:13 PM

My first car was a 97 Eclipse GS-T. Love it still to this day. However I was plagued with crankwalk []. IMO you would be better off getting a 2G turbo. There is a lot of more potential in these cars. Just make sure the previous owner maintained it CORRECTLY.

www.andysautosport.com

Old 12-23-2006, 07:41 PM

My first was a 98-GS Spyder and it was fun to have. Def not fast, but it looked good! My parents insurance was 200bucks a month for three cars full coverage, so insurance wasn't that much.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:34 PM

i got a 97 gst....its pretty quick, just stock it puts cars in its league to shame...(civic/rsx/prelude/srt-4/gti/scion) i've never lost to any of those...and the turbo sounds great....my insurance is about $1700 a year....way better than my friend's (1600 every 6mths or $3200)...it depends on the agency...most cars are going to be about the same unless its an suv(bigger, more dangerous)/civic(high theft rate)/toyota(high theft rate)

but just so you know--- they have a sport suspension (rides harder), not quite a light car (close to 4000lbs), road noise can be annoying, and engine noise (if you're not a car person) can be loud with higher rpms.

overall though, i like the 2g better, it looks nicer and sounds better, the back seats were never really meant to have full size adults in there hence the "+2" seating....

Old 02-08-2007, 09:02 AM

I have an '05 eclipse. The back seat can be small if you have at least 2 people that are tall in the car. I took a 22 hour trip with 3 other peopl in my car. it was pretty uncomfortable. Out of all the eclipses, i like the 3rd generation the best.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:41 AM

hey genius, this post is 2 months old

Old 02-08-2007, 11:58 PM

the yellow car i own right now.. thats my first car... ilove it. there not hard to handle and my dad was the same way as yours... "o that car is to small, if you crash you will die." them my step dad used his retirement fund to buy it cuz he knows i LOVE cars and we are POOR AS CAN BE so he did that for me and i still thank him to this day. because its a 1g and has the slowest engine possible in the eclipse (4g37) it wasnt to pricey the way it looks there.now that i have it my dad realizes its not that bad. everyone says its so small but there are MANY cars smaller. since this ive owned 2 other cars, and im plannin on buying 2 more cars this weekend. but the eclipse is obviously my fav. no problems yet. its a manual, not to fast, and very fun to drive. id say go with it and get an eclipse

Quick Reply: Is an eclipse a good first car?