2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Eclipse stock turbo PSI??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 12:40 AM
Default Eclipse stock turbo PSI??

hey guys,
a friend of mine is buying a 98 eclipse GS-T and the dude who is selling him the car claims that its running 21 psi on the stock turbo...is this possible? could he have somehow tweaked the stock psi with like a boost controller (assuming it does wut the name presumes, im kinda a noob so forgive me )? and even if it was running that much psi...wouldnt that be damaging to the engine? the other mods it has is a short ram intake and a custom duel exhast with headers. i thought i'd throw that out there just in case it mattered . Thx

Old 02-03-2006, 12:54 AM
Banned
Default RE: Eclipse stock turbo PSI??

Ummmmm I'm sure it would hit 21psi shorty there after fuel cut. Continued abuse like that would have major major repercussions. Most likely he is just saying that to make that car seem more desirable. I would take it for a test drive even before you buy it and see what it is running for psi. If it is run high psi like that....which I highly doubt ,DONT BUY IT , walk away.

Old 02-03-2006, 12:56 AM

oh good god where to start.... no headers\ it called a tubuler manifold on a turbo car. daul exhaust is a no no. ok 21 PSI can be done with a boost controller however the stock turbo cant do that if there is no boost gauge then it isnt running higher boost unless the old owner is a idiot. 21 PSI 1 will blow out your stock turbo real quick but chances are it will blow the motor over time as well without fuel upgrades

stock fuel on that car can handle 16 PSI on the stock turbo safely, the stock turbo isnt any good after that really and stock boost is about 10-12 PSI. I really highly suggest making sure there is no boost controller and the boost isnt that high other wise youll be digging a grave for the car.

I doubt its running 21 PSI.

Old 02-03-2006, 01:10 AM

if the owner been boosting 21 psi dont get it because most likely the engine is damaged. I had a friend that had a gst with a boost controller on stock internal and turned the boost all the way up at the track. guess what happend? he pulled it and withing 4 seconds he blew his engine moral of the story thats too much boost for internals.

Old 02-03-2006, 04:17 AM

21 psi is a good way to kill the stock turbo fast. it doesnt make any power past 17ish psi, just heat. to run that boost you would need to have a way to eliminate fuel cut, either bigger injectors an leaning it out, or fuel cut defense. i think its either a lie or the guys a moron back away from it

Old 02-03-2006, 09:43 AM

ORIGINAL: player69x

if the owner been boosting 21 psi dont get it because most likely the engine is damaged. I had a friend that had a gst with a boost controller on stock internal and turned the boost all the way up at the track. guess what happend? he pulled it and withing 4 seconds he blew his engine moral of the story thats too much boost for internals.
well the boost isnt what kills the motor it is the lack of fuel to cool the boost. a 2G on stock fuel cant take higher than 16-17PSI if it is then it is going to be running lean and have a lack of fuel to compensate for it causeing fuel and knock. If there are fuel upgrade on the car running 21 PSI is not a problem for the motor just the stock turbo wont do any good after that... So a big 16G turbo and some fuel upgrades 21 PSI can be run without harm

Honestly if it were me I wouldnt buy it either way the owner is shady if he is lieing to you and he is an idiot if he is telling the truth. if your friend buys it I would say he is asking for trouble with the car cause it is prob. beat.

Old 02-03-2006, 12:35 PM

Well he already put a deposit on that car...so im ASSUMING he has to buy it...but there was no boost controller...the only thing in it was a turbo timer. Could he have tweaked the boost and got rid of the controller? or is his guage messed up...someone told me earlier that its been a problem with 2g DSMs boost guages to read more boost than its putting out. also the engine was rebuilt 5k miles ago with paper work to prove it...so even if it was running that much boost, would it be too late to tune it down and make the engine last? when we went to check it out (i went with him) it looked like it was running real good, started up nice and quick, idled smoothly, and when he test drove it he said it drove very nice. Better than his current car (91 3000gt vr4 119k miles). so im wondering (hoping) that this guy is lying or his guage is messed..but the car was a pretty good deal, i mean it was a 98 eclipse gst with a few mods (listed above) full body kit, tinting, and some nice leather interior and sound system for like $6500 with 79k miles on the body, 5k miles on the engine with reciept from dealership (it was warrenty work so they kept in on file). im assuming its not knocking cuz from the sticky it said it would only last seconds before engine failure.

Old 02-03-2006, 12:49 PM

and if for some reason he did tweak the boost, and it was that high, is there anything you can do to find out if its knocking or causing engine dmg...i read the knocking sticky but im wondering if theres anything else i can check out without having to take it to a mechanic. Cuz im thinking if he catches it early that hopefully he can prevent alittle of the damage if its only been 5k miles.

And i just got off the phone with the guy, i asked him if at any point did he have a manual boost controller, and he said no. the car came stock reading 18 psi, and when he adjusted a screw on his blitz BOV it started to read 21...but at no point did he manually adjust the boost...so im thinkin its a glitch in the guage which i believe is aftermarket guage becuase he claims he never had a boost controller, becuase i never saw one in the car. could it also be the BOV thats throwin off the reading? and since he never manually adjusted it, wouldnt that mean its just running stock psi whatever that may be (8-9?)?

Old 02-03-2006, 05:08 PM

You will need DSMlink to read all the knock and such (maybe not on 2Gs? forgot.). For some reason I don't believe it was at 21psi as claimed. The stock fuel CAN NOT handle that peroid. As the evo owner above said, it is good (the fuel) for up to 16psi. Mine spiked 18 at WOT and cracked a valve. Get a defi boost gauge then go from there. Autometer is ok (what I have) but all my buds have the defi and claim is is way more accurate than my autometer. Good luck and hopefully it isn't a lemon.

Old 02-03-2006, 08:18 PM

ORIGINAL: feardafish

and if for some reason he did tweak the boost, and it was that high, is there anything you can do to find out if its knocking or causing engine dmg...i read the knocking sticky but im wondering if theres anything else i can check out without having to take it to a mechanic. Cuz im thinking if he catches it early that hopefully he can prevent alittle of the damage if its only been 5k miles.

And i just got off the phone with the guy, i asked him if at any point did he have a manual boost controller, and he said no. the car came stock reading 18 psi, and when he adjusted a screw on his blitz BOV it started to read 21...but at no point did he manually adjust the boost...so im thinkin its a glitch in the guage which i believe is aftermarket guage becuase he claims he never had a boost controller, becuase i never saw one in the car. could it also be the BOV thats throwin off the reading? and since he never manually adjusted it, wouldnt that mean its just running stock psi whatever that may be (8-9?)?
that makes no sence at all...stock the boost wasnt at 18PSI and a BOV isnt making your turbo push harder and a turbo timer just keeps your car running after shutting it off so it can cool the turbo. and like it was just said stock fuel would never handle that if you floored it you would know you would fuel cut at the very least. Without any type of boost controller that car should only be getting 10-12PSI unless he did something to the waistegate maybe?? Honestly I would be very ify about the car the owner sounds like he is an idiot and knows nothing about what he is doing... if the car is infact running 18+ PSI then yes it is knocking and could damage the motor... What I would do is start with buying a manual Boost controller and try to lower the boost and buy a gauge as well. gotta wonder why its got a new motor to begin with at not even 80K. If your running that high of boost 2 things will happen the turbo will be trashed in a short time and the motor will as well. I would get that taken care of ASAP and dont floor it till its lowered if you see it go past 15 i would let off the gas.

Quick Reply: Eclipse stock turbo PSI??