2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

the eclipse vs mustang challenge

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Default the eclipse vs mustang challenge

i have and 2 buddies that have fox body mustangs and i have a 99 mitsubishi eclipse GS. Now the bet is i have 18 months to get my car ready i have alot of ideas because this is not my first rodeo my first car was a 97 mitsubishi eclipse gsx an it ran low 13 high 12s there is no limit on wat i can do to my car im thinking 11s in the 1/4 should do just fine but i would like everyones opinion on this. i love a challenge espesally if it makes a guy that thinks that theres no replacment for displacment so if anyone could through in there 2 cents i would deply appritiate it.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:25 AM
Default RE: the eclipse vs mustang challenge

Oooo, a GS....even if you were to add a turbo to that 420a, you would still need to build that motor up to get enough pressure to get it to 13 second runs. If you still had your GSX I would feel better about the race as it would most likely be a sure win from a stop.
Next, what motor do the Mustangs have and what years? I know the fox bodies also had a 4 cylinder added to the mix during the fox days, since my dad had one.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

So you are looking for 11's out of a 420a motor and a FWD car. Its really not an easy or cheap thing to try at all. You will need to fully build up the block and head. And then run a pretty big turbo not to mention all the traction issues youll have and issues with the tranny. I would say your looking at $15k easily to get that.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Personally your best bet is to ditch the gs and pick up a gsx or an awd tsi. Also whats done to the rustangs?

Old 11-12-2008, 11:07 PM

im not a newbie im stroking the motor out to a 2.3 stage 3 heads stage 3 cams intake manifold with a 55mm throttle body performance ingntion and fuel upgrades and a nice big t60 or 70 turbo then we have the trans the gearing will be changed have not desided to wat will have a suspention upgrade its not going to be an easy build but i know that the 420a can handle it. the mustangs are 5.0s they will have performance heads intake manifold throttle body 410 gears in the rear its goin to be fast not sure of the hp but i wouldnt put anything past them. now to get back to the u need a gst or a gsx to have a shot come on guys i know guys with a gs and they push 500+hp so i will keep the 420a and build it up i have performance websites for 420a motors but if i could get some feed back on wat kind of performance parts that would be great like i said money is not a problem ill do wat i have to, to win just to see the look on my friends face when a 4 banger beats a v8

Old 11-13-2008, 12:20 AM

420a's are a waste of time to build up. just swap a 4g63 or something, i heard one of the evo's engines fit in their perfectly. it would be cheaper to do that than build up that engine.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

Its like every other 4 cylinder motor to build up looking for 11's. And if youve done this stuff before or know about it then you will know what to do with this one. Its all the basic stuff....fuel, internals, head components, ect. Basically a complete overhhaul of the engine. And then the usual stuff like piping, IC, turbo, manifold, exhaust, ect. Then the tuning components. For fuel i think Hahn Racecraft has one of the best setups
http://www.turbosystem.com/auto/engine/Portfueler.htm

actually they are pretty much the leader in 420a performance. So alot of their bolt on setups may be the way to go. Right now their stage 2 system isnt setup for that high HP. But the turbo your really going to want to consider is the 20g. The real problem you are going to face is traction.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:26 AM

Im behind you 100% on this build I have a co-worker who swares by the V8. Im would love to **** on his 99' C5 Vette with my 420A just to shut him up. Thinks thin Z06 is the best all around car for the money, wait no the fox body stanges and the 04' Cobra best bang for the buck. GAAAAAAWWWD I would love have him eat his words and some.

Ideas for the 420A you have cover most of them I was going to suggest a 2.3L build commense arlready told you to build up the block, heads, trans, and suspension. I would upgrade the trans first!! They arevery weak.Can I suggest an 8 injector set up?
http://catalog.disturbingmotorsports...oducts_id=1130
you already have the turbo system down. After that its all down to a good tune. I would doa lil research on a stand alone system and tuners around you area. What's you budget?

Old 11-13-2008, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

My bet is that the mustangs are mid to low 13's so any better then that you'll be fine. So shoot for high 12's.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:33 PM

there is really no buget but i saw the 8 injector set up and dont understand why you would to that if u can just get bigger injectors im intreged if anyone has info on that please tell me and about the motor swap to a 4g63 no good why would i do that its to much money to do the swap when i can just keep the 420a and build that up

Quick Reply: the eclipse vs mustang challenge