2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

ECU problems driving me mad

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 01:42 PM
Default ECU problems driving me mad

<FONT face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color=blue size=2>Can anyone help a frustrated UK Eclipse owner? I havea 91 Eclispe GS-T, 2WD, stick-shift with an ECU which has been reprogrammed and is still running high emissions (3x legal). Has anyone got any ideas on what may be causing it? Is it an ECU issue or something else. Has been causing a nightmare for the last 18 months - lots of parts going back and forward between the UK and the US (and lots of calls to the US for me!)</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff size=2>Any suggestions would be gratefully received...</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff size=2></FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff size=2>Thank,</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff size=2></FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff size=2>Lyndon</FONT></P>

Old 03-27-2004, 06:51 PM
Default ECU problems driving me mad

<FONT size=1>Do you know which gases are running high? If it's the HC(Hydrocarbons), then it's unburned fuel. Check the Ignition system, such as plugs, wires(or "leads"), and other things. If it's the NO(NitrogenOxides), One of the most common causes is the EGR System. Check the EGR valve and associated hoses, one clogged hose can cause the readings to be doubled or even tripled. Now the CO(Carbon Monoxide), a lot of things can cause the readings to be high. Often times it's the Oxygen Sensor, but sometimes it's not. Now these aren't absolutes, there can other things causing the problem but these are the most common, from my experience. I work at an emissions testing facility here in the US, but since we've switched to the OBD2 tests, we hardlytest any carson the dyno. Everybody has 96 and newer now. Other things to check for are Catalytic Converter, running rich or running lean, and definitely see if the car is leaking or burning any fluids. Sometimes getting a modded car to pass emissions means reverting back to stock configuration.</FONT></P>