2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Electrical Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 10:26 PM
Default Electrical Problem?

My 95 eclipse rs died on me this morning, I've always had a check engine light on my car
since I bought it a few years ago, we got it all checked out and came with a code that had
to do with the secondary air management. We could never figure it out so we left it alone.
When I drive my car the check engine light will randomly go off at times, and come back on.
When this happens the car will sometimes jerk forward and back, and then drive fine. Usualy
when I first get it running in the mornings will it do that a couple of times. So I was
leaving for work this morning and it felt like my car was about to jerk, but instead the
speedometer and rpm gauge all droped down to zero instantly, and the gas pedal was doing
nothing. So I came to a stop but the car still ran a good 5-10 seconds after my gauges went
to zero. When it cut off, I tried multiple times to start it back up, but it would only
turn over. Later today I checked all the wirings I could see, I took out the ECU and
clipped it back in - only the bolt in the middle that screws it on tight broke in half, but
I clipped the plastic cap back over the ECU, cleaned off the battery, and checked the timing
belt. I sprayed some starting fluid to help crank it up, it almost started twice but would
clonk out before it could catch. There's enough oil, plenty of gas, checked all the spark
plugs and wire, everything looks fine. I was told I might need a coil pack, or I might need
a new electronic module to get it running again. If you have any ideas or suggestions on
what it could be or things to check and try out, please throw them at me because I'm open
for anything.

Old 10-09-2005, 02:20 PM
Default RE: Electrical Problem?

ANYONE?!?!

Old 10-09-2005, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

That's a problem I'd have to be there to troubleshoot. Otherwise I don't know WHAT direction to go with it.

Old 10-10-2005, 12:17 AM

Well I decided to start at the fuel pump... I pulled out the fuel pump and it appears to be okay, I was told to hook it back up but leave the "out" flow for fuel unplugged and check if any fuel is being pushed in, and then blown out. Only question is... which connection on the top of the fuel pump is the fuel out. The small tip that hooks up to the rubber hose, or the larger one you screw to the other side. A better way to describe what I'm saying is the picture in this link. Is the end with the nut to tighten the fuel out or fuel in?

http://images.1aauto.com/FPU/1AFPU01024.jpg

Old 10-10-2005, 01:26 AM
Super Moderator

K first there are 2 ways to know which is the fuel in and out BUT there IS an easier way to test fuel pressure. There is a fitting on your fuel rail that you can hook a guage up to that will tell you if you have pressure there. You might want to start THERE first befor leaving things disconnected

Old 10-10-2005, 03:02 AM

All in all my fuel pump is not working, so I'm looking for the relay or fuse for it. But I can't seem to find it... anyone know where it is on a 95 eclipse RS. There are 2 relays next to each other on the top corner of the car with no diagram for it, with wires coming out of them. also I have 2 close to my clutch pedal above that fuse box with no wires.

Old 10-10-2005, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

If I'm not mistaken I believe the fuel pump relay is actually under the hood. But I couldn't tell you for sure.

Old 10-10-2005, 05:58 PM

Come to find out I had a rotten fuel line hose for my fuel pump, that crumbled somewhere along the process of putting my fuel pump back in my tank. I got all that replaced, hooked everything back up and still I get nothing. I messed around with the relays some more but they all seem fine. I do not believe I'm getting any fuel into my engine still, but how do I test it without having to **** with the fuel pump itself? Also, could my fuel filter be causing something to go wrong? The last thing I can think of that would deal with my fuel would be my fuel rail and fuel injectors, or maybe even my ECU could cause fuel problems? If any of that would cause me problems please let me know, and anything else fuel related that I can check.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Allright first off when was the last time you replaced the fuel filter? Do that cuz it can't hurt. I don't remember if there is a secondary I believe the fuel filter though is attached to the pump in the tank and is meant to be replaced WITH the pump. If there IS a secondary I recommend replacing it. Also you'll need a pressure gage to test the fuel pressure at the engine. There should be a connection on your fuel rail (Looks like a tire valve stem connection). Attach the gage to it and have someone crank over the engine. If you get no pressure then the pump is likely bad.

Old 10-11-2005, 07:41 PM

On my 95 eclipse what other year eclipse or car uses the same fuel pump as mine? Because I plan on just going to a junk yard and picking one up, along with replacing the fuel filter with it, also how do you check if your car is getting any spark?

Quick Reply: Electrical Problem?