2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

electrolysis

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Default electrolysis

how come search don't work? for the past couple of weeks i try to search something and i just geta pop up saying that there is no match.
anyways has anyone experienced electrolysis before? i just picked up a 1995 gst and i'm pretty sure i have electrolysis in the coolant. my heater core has a leak in it and when i turn on the heat it smells like straight coolant. thats what lead me to point to electrolysis.
how should i get rid of this? i'm replacing the heater core tomorrow (it's going to be a real pain) so the coolant will be be dained out. will it be gone when i refill it with coolant or are thereother steps to take?

Old 11-07-2008, 03:54 PM
Banned
Old 11-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Default RE: electrolysis

that doesnt necisarily mean you have an electrolysis problem. chances are somethings just goofed up down there or shook something loose to make it leak. but w/e the case, have fun doing that. i just did one in a toyota sienna this week lol. it took about 6 hours total to do. but i also took out the evaporator for the ac system. regardless, its not a fun job and make sure you keep an eye on where all the screws/bolts/nuts/plugs and harnesses go. i suggest masking tape and a sharpie to label everything.. and i mean EVERYTHING you take off

Old 11-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Banned

Thats why it tells you how to check for it.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:49 PM

i couldnt read that, for some reason adobe has been making my computer freeze lately... gay dells

Old 11-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Banned

Lol **** Microsoft

Old 11-07-2008, 04:59 PM

i have had more problems with this laptop then ive had with my car. litterally EVERY time i fix something, something else breaks. my screen broke over the summer, just got around to changing that, then my charger went out on me, then my hinge for the screen broke so now my screen is floppy, and my newest problem is my charging port is taking a shi+ on me so im gonna have to tear my computer apart to change that out soon.

threadjacking aside, if you need any pointers or anything, pm me or hit me up on aim: estraw0988

MAKE SURE YOU DISCONNECT THE BATTERY AND LET YOUR CAR SIT FOR ABOUT 10 MINUTES WITH THE DOME LIGHTS ON SO YOU DONT ACCIDENTALLY DEPLOY YOUR AIRBAGS. I CANNOT STRESS THE IMPORTANCE OF THIS ENOUGH. it only takes a couple millivolts to set off your airbags. even the static electricity from rubbing your feet on the carpet can set your airbags off if you touch the wrong thing.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:38 PM

yeah i'm almost postive that i have electrolysis. all the signs are there and i get a little static electricity when i touch the blinkers and wipers which i forgot to mention above.
but anyways i was only really worried aboout the airbags deploying on me, but i got past that. everythings probably going to go back together tomorrow. hopefully electrolysis will be gone.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldnt worry abt the air bags going off, I have worked around air bags all the time and I never seen one go off, you can do what estraw said but imo its overkill. Good luck w/ the heater core.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:50 PM

id just rather be safe then sorry. airbags are an expensive fix, and can seriously mess your day up one does end up deploying on you. its better imo to take a couple minutes and do it right then to have to fix everything that they messed up