2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Eletrical noise after AFC/Wideband install

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 04:36 AM
Default RE: Eletrical noise after AFC/Wideband install

The part that concerns me is the pitch changes when other electrical items are turned on. Spinz4 has a 255HP and I've ridden in his car, his does not change frequency pitch, ...does not change frequency pitch.
If you've got a stereo system loud enough to drown out the outside noise, there's a good chance that you have a bad ground, as Dusty suggested.
I suggest you rewire your fuel pump (just because it doesn't hurt to have its own power and one that is not shared with the other cabin electronics) and don't share the grounding location with anything. Another suggestion would be to move the stereo's amp ground(s) further away from the fuel pump. A bad ground create poor performance out of your pump and everything else that shares that bad ground.
Keep with your troubleshooting by disconnecting the amp(s) remote wire, so that none of your stereo equipment does not power up and go from there. You should only hear the pumps whine and that's it (as far as electrical noises go). If you hear a change in freq pitch when you rev your motor, that is also an indicator of a bad ground. Give us more info bro.

I'm not satisfied with the pump whine answer, since you added the turn signal/hazards/windows into the scenerio.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:43 AM

I just reread the initial post and I stand firm on you rewiring your fuel pump. Your pump is sharing power with everything connected to the interior fusebox. So, my suggestion to you again is to rewire the fuel pump. Ever notice your headlights dim with the turn signal turned on at idle?
Key note, the highest alternator output is 90amps, you most likely have the standard 75-80 amp alternator output. You have the 90 amp output if you have a 1G, A/C, and an automatic.
90amps with a stereo system is nothing. 75amps is worse.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:28 PM

Honestly Silver, I WILL rewire the pump. But I also was going to rewire my stereo system. If you look at some other threads I've written, I have had major electrical issues with the car. What I forget was that whoever owned the car before me ripped out the previous stereo system, but left the wiring. I think I fixed one ground by my battery, but I think the wiring could be causing problems as well.

I am glad you mentioned rewiring the pump coz I probably would have ripped all the old stereo wiring out and left the pump sharing fuse box connections.

To answer your questions, man I notice light dimming all the time. Lol Sometimes just sitting at idle. Lol But yes, I notice it especially when I use the power windows, the exterior light would dim and the interior dash lights would dim. lol

My car is an electrical nightmare.

Thx for the input tho.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:01 PM
Banned

&lt\\;P&gt\\;Yeah the one in the GST changed pitch with the turn signal too.... never rewired.&lt\\;/P&gt\\;

Old 06-04-2008, 08:29 PM

I am not following you Sebba. Not sure what you are trying to say.

I know I should rewire my stereo system, there is way too many unused cables all over the place. Are you saying I dont have to rewire my pump?

Sid

Old 06-04-2008, 08:41 PM
Banned

He is talking about the fuel pump rewire kit. I am saying you DO have to rewire the pump to keep the voltage going to it a little more consistant. That is the reason it changes pitch when you have your turn signal on. I was saying that the same thing was happening to my moms GST after the 255lph install.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:31 PM

Damn Sebba, your mom drives an eclipse with a 255 walbro. Niiice. What kinda car izzat in ur sig?

Thx for the info too.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Banned

Yeah the pics are in my gallery. It was sold a while ago.

The car in my sig is a Lotus Elise