2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

engine question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 09:43 PM
Default engine question

really just want to get your guys opinion on my idea. since i dont have too much money into buying a new engine, i was thinking about buying a short block from slowboys and just building it up slowly. i figure that this is a good way to get to know more because im such a noob. i also got a buddy who knows a lot and can help me out so i wont be drowning in my stupidity. just wanna know what u guys think. any constructive or offense criticism is fine by me. after all, a noob does need to be put in his place. thnx

Old 10-11-2007, 10:15 PM
Default RE: engine question

first of, what kind of car do you have? and if you have a gst or gsx with a 4g63, why would you buy a whole new motor if you dont have the money?? Just buy stuff and install it on your motor. Like pistons and rods, crank (if you wanna go high horsepower),then pull ur head and upgrade your valves, valve guide, retainers and springs, port and polish it, etc. This way you can do things in stages as you get the money, and still learn a ton about your motor

Old 10-12-2007, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with him. Why not just slowely buy the parts you want to go in the motor. And then once you have everything start to get to work. But what are your plans, so that we can figure out the appropriate mods to buy

Old 10-12-2007, 08:18 AM

sry about not mentioning what kind of car i have its a 95 gst. before i had this whole plan to save up until next summer and just buy a new engine straight off. i think the way i do it, i can probably get an engine sooner as well as learn more out of it. i keep reading that a 6 bolt is the way to go, but i have an automatic, is it honestly worth it? i currently have around 140000 on my engine, so i thought it be time to upgrade. the way that you describe doing up my engine seems a lot more simpler and efficient for what im looking to do, i just dunno if i can use my engine to much longer. oh by the way thnx for the comments i appreciate it a lot.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:16 AM

does your current engine work ok? if so than just find a used 6 bolt from somebody somewhere... i think TheEngineer stilllllll has his for sale. and slowly build it as money comes in. if you are looking for forged internals (stock will hold 450whp) than you are looking at about 1000-1500 depending on what you want. i guess the question here is what are you plans? if you are planning on running a 16g pushing 350 than forged is un-needed. if you plan on going w/ a nice 50 or 60 trim and pushing over 500 or something like that than id prolly suggest forged stroker botom end.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:28 AM

well if you rebuild your motor it would basically be like a brand new engine. So you dont have to worry about your high mileage. And yes a 6-bolt is better than your 7-bolt because 7 bolt's are prone to crankwalk. Now I here that with automatics crankwalk is less likely to happen, especially fora 95? but yes if you wanted to do the swap you can buy a used 6-bolt block, hot tank it, rebuild it, etc. and swap it in... You wouldnt need to change your head. I would say that is the way to go, 'cause you wont have to buy a whole new engine, you can still learn a ton about your car, and you would drop back down to 0 miles on your motor.

Also, like engineer said, what are you plans? what are you trying to accomplish? are you going for high horsepower? or just upgrade a little? this will definitely help in the planning of your project. And trust us when we tell you, if you dont have a plan and just start buying parts and deciding along the way, your gonna end up spending a TON more money than what you planned on, and you most likely wont be happy with the results

Old 10-12-2007, 09:35 AM

that is a very good point. my problem is that i get ahead of myself. i start buying parts for my hopeful next car or next project etc etc and end up just selling the parts months down the road for a loss. i just sold a Greddy Profec B Type S Electronic Boost Controller and a Greddy Full Autotimer that i bought like 6 months back b/c i'm going all motor in my honduh. so just get it all planned out and THEN decide what you need. or let us know and we'll let you know

Old 10-12-2007, 09:42 AM

exactly, and for another example, i have a list of parts that i need for my gsx, that way i ensure that i dont just go buy parts when the opportunity arises and waste money. Also do some research on each and every part, that way you'll also save money if you compare prices, and you'll get the best quality parts out there, DON'T SETTLE WHEN IT COMES TO YOUR MOTOR!!

Old 10-12-2007, 06:38 PM

i have heard the samething about crankwalk with automatics and thats y i was just wondering if it was worth it to even buy the 6 bolt or to just rebuild the 7 bolt that i have. pushing 350 is pretty much perfect for me. i dont think 500 would be typical since my baby is a daily driver. basically im just try to figure out where to start. so far the only thing that i have done is the suspension (kyb agx with tien s techs). if that 6 block mentioned earlier is still up for grabs, ill totally buy it, well depending on price obviously. as for what i need, to tell you guys the truth im lost. like i said earlier, pushing 350 is perfect, i just dunno what i need in order to make this happen. i already plan to get a greddy evo 2 exhaust and type rs bov, as well the injen short ram air intake system. any suggestions on where i can go on from here and what i should go out and buy would help me out a lot.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:44 PM

you're off to a good start, and yea i would totally go with the 6-bolt, that way you have no worries about crankwalk... also i believe they might be a bit easier to time? as far as gettin 350 heres a basic list: Evo3 16G turbo, bigger injectors, fuel pump, intake, exhaust, ported exhaust manifold and o2 housing, and downpipe, and you should be good, add stuff guys if im missin anything (and yes i know the ported exhaust mani and o2 housing isn't necessary, but it helps

Quick Reply: engine question