2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Engine swap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 03:13 AM
Default Engine swap?

I have a 95 rs. It has 150,000 miles. I wanta turbo'd engine. I can't turbo this car with all the mileage. From what i've read on here a gst swap is a bitch and costly. Is there any other engine swap i could do? Or do you think a simple rebuild of my engine would be able of handling a turbo?

Old 02-08-2006, 03:41 AM
Default RE: Engine swap?

Im facing the same problem. Its hard to know whats best when money comes in to play. My engine is at 160,000. You are looking at an engine that isnt reliable to put boost on without some changes. Some people might say as long as you maintain it your fine but me and you both know thats crap. Ive been looking around and the best thing I found I can do is save up for a rebuilt engine they have on ebay just check out 420A on ebay and you will see them. They also come colored and powdercoated your preference. They cost about 1,200$ but I plan on having that engine for a little while and then getting the turbo kit for it. Really the best bet for us is to be patient and take it a step at a time. Get the engine(A huge step), Get a full turbo kit(Smaller Step) Than either have someone pro install or you and a friend isntall. Be patient man dont rush things cause it will cause you problems in the future. Now that isnt to say your engine right now isnt fine. This is refering to how i know my engine is and how im guessing yours is.

Old 02-08-2006, 10:04 AM

Here is yor best bet on the 420a. First off its not just that it has 150k on it the fact is the internals are not made to handle boost. First off go talk to a local macinest about building a motor from a 420a that can handle mid-high boost. I had my old 420a done for 1300 for teh longblock and allnew hoses so just about everthing under the hood was new and it could take about 18-20psi with no issues guaranteed by the macinest. next setp is to look into getting somthing like the Hahn Racecraft 420a turbo kits.

Old 02-08-2006, 12:49 PM

To be honest if you dont mind spending the same amount of money for a new car no a 420a motor able to support boost and a decent turbo kit, then dont do it.

It all really depends on what you wnat, if you wnat something orginal, a sleeper, and a cool project car thats got some bad *** looks build the motor up and boost er. If you want some decent speed for an affordable cost but still want looks buy a 75 shot and some bolt ons. If you want lots of go but no show sell the car and buy a 1g.

I was once told by a old skooler 420a guy for 2g nt.com, "You can have it cheap, you can have it nice, but you will never have it cheap and nice... and still be fast."

Old 02-08-2006, 12:56 PM

I would really enjoy having that done. Getting mine rebuilt even though it has already been rebuilt. But to handle boost. The only thing is I just dont know anyone good around here that I feal comfortable with. Did you know the guy that rebuilt yours?

Old 02-08-2006, 01:22 PM

ya he has built about 6 motors over the years for people in my family including 350 strokers a ford v6 454 ..... and soon to be my gst. He is very through and knwo what he is talking about this is why you need to find a macinest in the local area that you can trust so they give u advice from all the motors tehy rebuild and they see where the problem areas are.

Old 02-08-2006, 10:26 PM

love your car the way it is, build the engine, or sell it

Old 02-09-2006, 03:37 AM

Whats a 75 shot? Another question. Would it just be better for me to work with the engine i have and rebuild it, buy one with less miles from a junk yard, or one off ebay for 1100 bucks?

Old 02-09-2006, 10:19 AM

Q#1: 75 shot is NOS.
Q#2: Well you have options there junkyard wont do ya much good you are looking for a stronger motor internals not stock for turbo. alsp i would not trust ebay for a motor that has been rebuilt who knows what they have done to it and for the same price you can have it done local ina few days with a 1-3 year guarantee on all parts and labor.

Old 02-09-2006, 03:41 PM

Generally how much does a rebuild cost?

Quick Reply: Engine swap?