2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

evo 8 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 05:22 PM
Default evo 8 turbo

So my friend is getting a new turbo on his Evo 8, so i might have a chance to buy his stock one off of him, but i want to know would the turbo work? I'm asuming i would have to get a new exhaust manifold
any idea's?

Old 11-15-2006, 05:32 PM
Default RE: evo 8 turbo

considering they are the same engines, i would imagion so, possiablity a new manifold

Old 11-15-2006, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

WHOA hold on there. There's ALOT more to it than just slapping a turbo in. By the sound of the post I'm going to assume that you're running an N/A setup and that you're considering turbo charging your engine. Perhaps there needs to be a sticky to explain all this stuff BUT here are a few items to consider when thinking about a turbo for your N/A engine:

Exhaust manifold will need replaced
Injectors will likely need replaced
ECU will need replaced OR a piggyback system installed
IC piping and IC installed
Vaccuum setup will need changed
Can your lower end even HANDLE any boost?

I'm not trying to deter you from doing it just trying to give the tools and advice to keep you from dumping a turbo on the car and calling it a day. Do your research it will be THE best weapon you'll EVER have against self destructing your engine. Find out what all needs done and try to find people that have done it. Don't half *** jump into it without knowing EVERYTHING you can find out about it or you'll regret it in the end. This is NOT a cheap project and definately not an easy one. Good luck if you decide to do it though. I'm sure there will be PLENTY of people here with good info and ready to help you if you need it.

Old 11-15-2006, 10:09 PM

The turbo wont fit... it faces the oppostie way (sorry sang if you said it I wasnt about to read that novel you posted) and when you spin the turbo it sits off centered to far so without some sort of a custom manifold exhaust combo your not gonna have any luck

Old 11-15-2006, 10:40 PM

I just posted what you said on another board too Emonz.

ORIGINAL: silvercoupe97

...BTW, the turbo (if an EVO 4 or above) will have the turbo intake facing the driver's side. If it's an EVO 3 turbo, it will face the passenger's side (as they would on any turbo'd DSM).

That's why I say that it's not a newer EVO turbo. There would also be exhaust, power steering (if it's still there), alternator (unless the A/C was removed and the alt moved to the rear of the motor), ABS (unless it's gone or the intake just doesn't go that far) clearance issues.
Also, free or not, the custom modifications just won't net you anymore HP, than just buying a similar DSM turbo.
Having a twin scroll turbo, just to say you have a twin scroll turbo in a DSM, would be cool, but most enthusiasts will just look at you like you were nuts for doing that, lol.

Old 11-15-2006, 11:26 PM

get it for free and let me know I may want to buy it lol

Old 11-15-2006, 11:55 PM

he has a gst i think

Old 11-16-2006, 12:02 AM

yeah i got a gs-t, and i would be turning the boost down on it to like 14 until i could afford some back up mods, just want to know if it would fit with a custom manifold, so yeah cool thanks

Old 11-16-2006, 01:20 AM

ORIGINAL: 93eclipsegsx

he has a gst i think
doesnt matter what it is cause it wont logically fit

Old 11-16-2006, 03:11 PM

i know mike, i was just putting it out.

Quick Reply: evo 8 turbo