2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Exhaust Smoke When Gassed-97 Eclipse GS

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 12:19 PM
Default Exhaust Smoke When Gassed-97 Eclipse GS

Hey there,

I have a 97 Eclipse GS, and basically, when I let the car idle for 1-2 minutes, and then give it gas, It dumps a low-medium ammount of smoke out of the exhaust. To me it looks blueish/grey, and smells "gassy". I have checked the valves, all checked 160 straight accross, I replaced the downstream o2 sensor, and now I'm wondering if it could be the upstream.

Before I go shell out another 70 bucks on the upstream, I wanted to check and see if anyone had any input.

Also, if it was the o2 sensor, would there be one more then the other that would cause it to dump smoke? Is there somewhere other then the valves I should be checking that could dump anything into the exhaust?

Any input is GREATLY appreciated, Thanks a ton in advance =).

Old 09-25-2009, 04:04 PM
Banned

Valve stem seals.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Sebba
Valve stem seals.
I agree, did you do a wet compression test too?

Old 09-25-2009, 06:31 PM

I just hooked up a friends code reader and it'd throwing "P0132" at me. o2 circuit high voltage (bank 1,sensor 1) it's also flashing (Cat), HTR and EGR. Would all of that still mean valve stem seals? And do those other flashing things mean anything relevent?
Thanks a ton guys.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:35 PM

And I was under the impression that if I was getting the same readings from all cylinders that a wet test wasn't needed? Are my numbers low?

Old 09-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

no your #'s are fine. It could be that the EGR valve is bad. A bad o2 wont make smoke but could cause you to run rich which in turn could also cause these symptoms.

The code that you have does point to the o2 sensor being the issue.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:55 PM

Ok, So does this mean I should replace the o2 sensor? Or the EGR valve? (I'm sorry, I'm pretty new to this).

Could it have anything to do with dirty fuel injectors? or them needing to be cleaned I mean.

I just need to know what to replace first, or what is more likely to be the culprit.

Thanks so much, I appreciate it very much =).

Old 09-25-2009, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Well here is the thing, What your code is telling you is that the O2 is reading high voltage, which means a rich condition. What i would do is unplug the battery and let it sit for a couple minutes, then plug it back in. And see how long before the code comes on again. A long wait (say nearing the end of a drive or a day) will tell you that the issue is intermittent and therefore most likely not the 02 itself. If it comes on within the first few minutes then it MAY be the 02. But i still would say for sure.

My guess is something else is causing this rich condition (which is why your are seeing all that smoke comming out). Most likely something in your actual fuel system. Typically something like this is caused by excess fuel due to a bad injector, a clogged EVAP canister, or hoses going to the evap can. And also high fuel pressure caused by bad lines to the Fuel pressure regulator. I would start by checking these things since they can all be inspected without replacing.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

An o2 sensor may fix your cel, but isn't gonna cause the car to have blue smoke. A wet compression test will tell you what condition your rings are in.

When a car puffs blue smoke after idling serveral min is a telltale sign of valve stem seals.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:54 AM

So it looks like the code is showing up right away after unhooking the battery for awhile and retrying it. Though I haven't checked any of the other things you mentioned checking. I'm at almost 130k miles and I doubt the front o2 sensor has ever been replaced. I guess now would be a good time. I just don't have the money to replace the EGR valve or anything like that on top of it.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Smoke When Gassed-97 Eclipse GS