2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Factory Amp and Aftermarket Headunit

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 06:31 PM
Default Factory Amp and Aftermarket Headunit

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to make the factory amp that is under the seats work with an aftermarket headunit. I have had a few people tell me the tweeters and the all front speakers are connected directly to the amp. I bought the car with an aftermarket head unit and the none of the front speakers work. I was wondering what i would need to do to get these to work without re-wiring the front of the car. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Old 03-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Default RE: Factory Amp and Aftermarket Headunit

Rip that POS amp out. Buy a 4 channel amp. Some 8 gauge power/8 gague ground wire, set of RCAs, speaker wire and a constant wire. Really simple install. All you need is a 9v battery to find trace the wires.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:27 PM

Wouldn't a wire harness make it plug and play and installation simpler.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:43 PM

Theres something with the code and the stock secuirty system that you have to contend with. I dont know the details but I think you have to just bypass the amp.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:49 PM

year, make, model, trim... the 1st and 2nd gens don't have stock amps so what vehicle are you talking about?

Old 03-20-2007, 01:51 PM

2g's have stock amps under the seat if it had the infitiy system in it. and i just bypassed the amp, i have no front tweeters but i have 2 ways in front and 3 ways in back.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:58 PM

no kidding? somebody must have taken mine out before i bought my car b/c i had the infinity, it came with all of the 10th aniversary eclipse's.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:29 PM

it's under the passenger seat, i'll take a picture of it when i get home from school and put it up here. my tweeters are the only parts of my stock speaker system that are still good, so i just left them in so i won't lose them, and i won't have two holes in my dash either. lol.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:09 PM

I have a 97 Eclipse Spyder GST Convertable. Working on doing all the maint. to the car now. Right now the only 2 speakers that are working are the back 6x9's. And one of those are shot. Other than that the rest of the infinity speaker system is not working at all. I took the car to Best Buy yesterday and the guy there told me to just order this special harness and everything should work. The harness was only 25 bucks so im going to take a gamble on it. If the harness doenst work, then I will be doing exactly what antlip said, ripping all of it out and wiring my own system. I just figured if the stock amp is still in there and works, and the rest of the infinity system might still be good, no need to waste a good thing. And plus I needed to have someone take the head unit out and look at all the wiring. Whoever installed the old head unit hooked it up to the parking lights for some reason. Wiring didnt look to good.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:35 PM

this is under the passenger seat, wood trim and all the infinity amp.. https://mitsubishiforum.com/upfiles/...k315364539.jpg

Quick Reply: Factory Amp and Aftermarket Headunit