2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Figured out leaking transfer case??

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Default Figured out leaking transfer case??

I figured out why my transfer case is leaking but have no idea how to start fixing it. After the clutch install what I reinstalled everything seemed fine, but today when I was under there I noticed that the drive shaft isn't fully seated in the transfer case. So, that brand new seal that installed isn't doing $h!t because the drive shaft isn't even seated. I can't make it seat either. It is almost like it is too short. If I get prothane motor, tranny, and roll stopper inserts, do you guys think that it will realign the engine and allow the drive shaft to seat fully? The leak isn't so bad that ALL the fluid is being flung out (I just changed the fluid and there was still about 1/2-3/4 of a quart in there) but there is gear oil everywhere down there. Thanks guys I know you won't let me down

Old 04-29-2008, 01:03 AM
Default RE: Figured out leaking transfer case??

It is possible that the motor mounts are so worn that the motor just sits forward now. The ones that will cause that is the front and rear (tranny), although even the ones on the sides may allow a slight shift (I doubt this is the case though). Just know that it will be a PITA because if the motor has shifted, you won't be able to easily replace the mounts because of the shift forward.
There's really not much else that can misalign the transfercase with the driveaxle but the rear diff.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:07 PM

Hey brother, Thanks for the reply. I just bought the prothane motor mounts. I hope that they fix this crazyness. What could happen with the rear diff to misalign the drivshaft. The driveshaft actually bolts into it so I'm not sure if I understand how it could shift or become misaligned. Maybe I messed something up... here was my procedure for swapping the clutch as it pertains to the driveshaft/transfer case. I pulled the transfer case off the transaxle, slid it off the driveshaft (no resistance) laid the driveshaft against the ground (only disconnected it from the transfer case, not the center diff) and then when I swapped the clutch just put it back together. if anything don't you think it would pull the driveshaft forward from laying the tip on the ground... not push it backwards? Thanks brother. I know you know a $h!t load about this having swapped the 4G63 into your car. Thanks

Old 05-04-2008, 02:57 AM

Oh sorry, that's what I was implying...that there really isn't much to cause the issue that you have. I don't think laying it on the ground would have pulled it forward because of the two centerbearings (which bolt up to the tunnel), they should supply enough support to hold it up and in place, although you really should have had something hold the shaft up (zip ties would have worked, lol). You could check those two and look to for any signs of them being moved back (some sort of odd angle or something). Aside from that, the motor shifting forward from worn out motor mounts or your transfer case shrunk in the dryer...
I just change my driver's side and front mounts and that shifted my motor up and to the driver's side. My old driver's side mount was in horrible shape! So, removing the tranny+ may have relieved just enough tension to move the motor forward enough to give you your current issue.
Insert may do the trick in realigning your motor...word of advice, do the front one first, rear second, and then the sides. I've always heard that doing the front one is easier when done first...I should have remembered that when I did mine, lol. It probably would have saved me an hours worth of cussing. The sides are probably the easiest. The rear is a pain because it's way back there.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:04 AM

One more thing about the mounts. Changing to just those two motor mounts have really helped with smoother shifting and the power feels like it connects to the ground a lot faster and firmer than it used to. I've stalled three times already and with my old mounts, the motor would have just slightly bogged. Weird eh? I'm not a bad driver, I either had really bad mounts or those stiffer ones really tightened things up!
The clutch is also more fluid when grabbing. Bro, it just feels better. There is only a slight amount of vibration felt on the steering wheel, but a bottle of water in the cup holder suggests that there is more vibration than I can feel anymore, lol.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:44 AM

Beautiful! Thanks John. That makes more sense... I know I was retarded for laying the tip of the driveshaft on the ground. I was in hurry. (the craftshop charges by the hour) I actually had everything removed within 3 hours... Then I ran into some problems and it ended up sitting in the craft shop for about 2 weeks while I was in the field. Awesome huh? Anyway.. I have the mounts coming this week... I'll be in the field, but I'll try to get them installed over the weekend (might not work though because my wife will kill me if I try to work on my car over mother's day) and I'll let you know how things turn out. Thanks again brother.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:08 PM

So far I've installed the front and the tranny mount... The rear mount is completely unbolted, but I can't get it out.. the tranny mount center bolt won't go all the way through leading me to believe that the engine is at a weird angle... and I'm saving the driver side/timing belt side belt for next weekend when i recheck my timing belt area for an oil leak... the bad news is the driveshaft hasn't gone into the transfer case at all. I checked the center diff and the tunnel couplings but they seem good I can push the driveshaft in, but the rubber on the couplings just pulls it back out and it seems to pull out from the center diff a little... I have no freaking clue what to do unless the drivers mount will fix the problem.... heres the kicker.. I looked at the driver side mount and it actually looks like its pushed all the way back, not forward... hmmm