2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

first upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 10:59 PM
Default first upgrade

If you just got a stock 98 gst, what would be your first up grade on it?
i'm just trying to find out where to start...

Old 09-15-2005, 09:57 AM
Default RE: first upgrade

If it has a turbo, and a blow off Valve then find out how good the blow off valve is. If it doesnt have a blow off valve, then get one and make sure it's loud. Not only does that increase your bhp but it also sounds really cool when it is loud.

Old 09-15-2005, 10:24 AM

ORIGINAL: newEclipse

If it has a turbo, and a blow off Valve then find out how good the blow off valve is. If it doesnt have a blow off valve, then get one and make sure it's loud. Not only does that increase your bhp but it also sounds really cool when it is loud.
just so you know....he has a GST, which comes stock with a turbo and BOV.

get a boost controller, and turn the boost up.

Old 09-15-2005, 02:12 PM

intake, bov, mbc, exhaust

Old 09-15-2005, 03:42 PM

ORIGINAL: nate5023

Old 09-15-2005, 11:04 PM

which boost controller do you recomend and how do i know how much to raise it?

Old 09-16-2005, 07:21 PM

any boost controller will work with the stock turbo fine, but if you go witha upgraded one or want to run over 20 psi go with a turbo xs mbc which should run you around 70 I think.

Old 09-17-2005, 03:49 AM

ORIGINAL: newEclipse

All turbo cars have a bov, with out one the turbo would explode. The bov wont change his bhp. The stock bov is plastic and some times opens sideways, or not fully at all. Which isant a real proble for a stock car, but when the psi goes up it may not be able to relive the pressure fast enough which can cause turbo surge(bending of the impler blades) So when you upgrade to a bov that metal and has an adjustable spring pressure it sounds cool and you are insured an even and quick release of pressure. Also putting tension on the bov spring wont give you more boost. It just makes the bov louder and harder for the turbo to make it open. The boost level is dicatated by the wastegate acuator. Which is how a boost controler works.

Now lets not get all boost happy. If you crank up the boost on a stock fuel system the motor sees a lean mixture(more air than gas) which makes it run hotter. Lean air/fuel ratio + detonation, which is a blown motor. So as far as upgrades, to make anything fast your job is to move air as fast as possible. If I were you, I'd leave the boost alone for now and do a K&n cone filter, tb, colder plugs, wires->anyhting but msd, cayt back exaust,high flow cayt/test pipe, bov(rfl's sound cool). Thats an easy G right there, after all of that if you still not satied then think about getting an fmic, boost conrtoler, dsm link/safc, injectors,fuel filter, fuel pump, maybe a bigger turbo, heder, dp.

Old 09-17-2005, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

All right whoever posted the "get a big BOV that's loud cuz it sounds cool" needs to do a bit more research. Any BOV can be loud if installed with the intake return line off. BUT this robs you of HP and causes unecessary wear and tear on the engine itself. If you want to SOUND cool for a while go ahead and do that but it's REALLY not going to help you much. I'd recommend a boost controller, or start with possibly a higher capacity fuel pump and injectors to prime you for a bigger turbo.

Old 09-17-2005, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: nate5023

If you've got a turbo then an intake isn't really high on the list of upgrades I'd be looking for. Cat back exhaust with larger piping, bigger turbo and feul delivery system, fuel management system and boost control would be where I'd be looking first. All depends what you're willing to spend and what you're looking for. Do you want performance now at the risk of damage to parts? Or do you want to prime yourself for performance later by getting the things that'll help the engine run smooth when you do the bigger upgrades?

Quick Reply: first upgrade