2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

first upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 01:25 PM
Default RE: first upgrade

ORIGINAL: Sanguinius

ORIGINAL: nate5023

intake, bov, mbc, exhaust
If you've got a turbo then an intake isn't really high on the list of upgrades I'd be looking for. Cat back exhaust with larger piping, bigger turbo and feul delivery system, fuel management system and boost control would be where I'd be looking first. All depends what you're willing to spend and what you're looking for. Do you want performance now at the risk of damage to parts? Or do you want to prime yourself for performance later by getting the things that'll help the engine run smooth when you do the bigger upgrades?
i will disagree about the intake. the stock intake is very restrictive. i read this from importtuner the other day...

The Injen intake was simple to install since all the necessary brackets and connectors came complete with the unit. The mass air adapter and filter complement the engine bay in OEM fashion and the intake pipe installs just like factory. When comparing the O.E. pipe with the Injen unit, there was a very noticeable difference in restriction. The O.E. unit has a blow-off valve inlet causing restriction to the turbo. A quick pass on the dyno once it was fixed uncovered hidden ponies--11 peak horses over baseline and 10 lb-ft of torque. Wow.
you also listed bigger turbo, fuel system, FMU, and boost controller, but you forgot about a FMIC.

Old 09-17-2005, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

I made 2 seperate posts and in one I mentioned the management system. and I understand that the stock intake is restrictive BUT that can be taken care of merely by putting a better filter on (K&N or Airhog) no need to spend the mass $ for a CAI when it really isn't going to help with having a turbo. Same witha short ram how are you going to expect a SR intake to work when you have the turbo sucking the air in for it if you know what I mean. I'd say just get a better air filter that provides more flow rather than go to the extend of replacing the entire intake for the time being. Once you start pushing the bigger #'s then you might want to get the CAI or SR intake just to smooth out the piping and provide less turbulence in the air on it's way into the engine.

Old 09-17-2005, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

I kinda group the FMIC and FMU together I don't think I'd really do one without the other.

Old 09-17-2005, 03:49 PM

For someone who has built up both a 97tsi awd and a 97 gsx over the last 5 years I have found the best/cheapest way to make power:

1. BOOST GAUGE. MOST IMPORTANT STEP> Dont skip it you want to see what you are doing to your can and dont want to blow up your motow right?

2. Air filter/adapter (Brand doesnt matter here, thats all you need. You dont need a new pipe to replace the black snorkel going to your turbo unless you want to spend more money, I still have mine and run mid 12's with it just fine)

3. Upper IC pipe/new BOV (google "dave brode" for a cheap IC pipe they make a HUGE difference in power. You also need a new bov because the stock one will leak at 12psi and limit you on making any extra boost. cheap upgrade = 1g bov, shiny upgrade = greddy type s/rs)

4. Manual boost controller ( I went with turbo xs, it was cheap and has 2 adjustment *****, it holds boost perfect. You can turb it up to 16psi at this point, 17-18 if you get a bigger fuel pump)

5. Catback exhaust/downpipe/highflow cat or test pipe. (get all 3 at once so you know they will fit together and dont need to weld/sell anything lator. A lot of people buy a catback then cant find a downpipe/cat that will fit to it)

There it is, under $1000 and you can run 13's. If you want more then its time to start looking into bigger turbo, front mount, and injectors/SAFC

Old 09-17-2005, 03:51 PM

oh yea, depending on how you drive, think about a new clutch somewhere in there too, the stock one goes downhill fast when you're making that kinda power even after only a couple visits to the dragstrip. It may last longer for a fwd though.

Old 09-18-2005, 12:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Sanguinius

I kinda group the FMIC and FMU together I don't think I'd really do one without the other.
Fmu's build fuel pressure relative to boost pressure, the stock ecu will already do that, its a non nessecty.

If you wnat a good read go here http://www.machv.com/ecperguid.html

Old 09-18-2005, 01:44 AM
Super Moderator

I thought the stock ECU wasn't really equipped to handle that too well... But then again I'm also still in the mindset of turbocharging a non turbo 4G63 so I may be completely off in that respect.

Old 09-18-2005, 11:14 AM

Any factory turbo charged car has an ecu that does all of the fuel mapping, unlike my car thats ment to sit a 0 vac at wot. So once you add 1 psi to the intake manifold the ecu is already maxed out and your running lean. SO you hook an fmu up to a vac source and she will raise the fuel pressure relative to the intakemanifold pressure in a 12:1 ratio... that depends on the fmu, some have other discs that are different ratios. A factory turbo car (gst, gsx, tsi) dont need an fmu.

Old 09-18-2005, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Like I said I'm still in the NT to T mentality. it keeps slipping my mind that he's running an egine that's factory turbo.

Old 10-07-2005, 07:40 PM

Your first upgrade should be a complete 3" 02 eliminator turboback exhaust system. If emissions is a concern then a catback would be fine. You should also consider an intake after the exhaust. Then I would say mbc. Make sure you know what you are doing when you turn up the boost.

Raymond
(RnR Racing)

Quick Reply: first upgrade