2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Glow gauges

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 02:55 AM
Default Glow gauges

How hard is it to install glow gauges in the dash? Is it something I could do or is it a professional job? And if I can do it, what does it involve me to do?
I was thinking this http://www.slickcar.com/productdetai...ProductID=1443

1998 mits eclipse rs
[align=center] [/align]

Old 08-05-2007, 03:23 AM
Default RE: Glow gauges

It's not hard at all. If you can put the overlays on without removing the needles, then do it that way as it will keep you from having to recaliberate them. You have an RS so you should have a total of 4 gauges, two 4" overlays and two 50mm gauges. It's not hard to do, you'll be fine to do it yourself.
Note, if you have to remove the needles, remember where they sit with the car on (not off because they will sit in the OFF position...down and that's not very helpful). Try not to remove the speedo needle because you will have a hell of a time recaliberating that without help from another car, or something with a seperate MPH/KMH reading.

Old 08-05-2007, 04:11 AM

Do you know if this product will include some basic instructions, such as removing the panel...etc
Looks pretty sweet to me though. If i do remove the needles, couldn't I just leave the car off, remove the needles and then put them back in the same location as being in the down position?

Old 08-05-2007, 04:20 AM

i really dont think you needa remove the needles just over lay the gauges and ur done

Old 08-05-2007, 04:36 AM

ORIGINAL: kryptekz

Do you know if this product will include some basic instructions, such as removing the panel...etc
Looks pretty sweet to me though. If i do remove the needles, couldn't I just leave the car off, remove the needles and then put them back in the same location as being in the down position?
No, the needles have stops at the bottom to keep the needles from "falling" down too far. Without the needles on, the shaft will rotate all the way and will remove any preload that is on them, thus throwing off the gauges values.
As we stated though, you should have to remove the needles at all. The only reason to remove it would be that the opening in the middle of the overlays are too small for the needle's base to fit through even with minor force. The instruction may have a guide and it may not, but it's really not diffcult to remove the dash bezel, instrument cluster, the clear lens, and then the instrument bezel.
These are all things that will hit you once the overlays get to your door. It should anyway because I stated the terms in order of removal.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:01 AM

wow, recalibrate the speedo, LOL there goes my idea of modding my gauges, thnx for killing all my dreams silver =)

Old 08-05-2007, 05:49 AM

No, no, no KN.
It can be done, but there are some with holes that are too small that the needs will have to be removed. You can lay the overlay right over the needles to see if you're going to have to before you actually do.
If you do have to remove any of the needles, they are pretty easy to caliberate by eye. You know where the oil temp or pressure/coolant temps needles sit when it's completely warmed up, just place the needles right where they are normally and same with the RPMs. You know where it should sit at idle and of course the fuel gauge. Worse case for the fuel gauge, you can fill it up and you know where the needle sits when it's full so you can just eyeball it. The speedo is the only one that is tricky because at idle, there's obviously no movement from it. I've got DSMLink and my TT that gives me speed and they're on the dot. I checked it while pacing my wife . That is all you'll have to do, just pace a buddy (keeping in mind to keep the clear lens off) and have your buddy go at XXmph (both of you just need to go a to a set speed), place your needle at that speed really easy at first because you may accidentally place it a little off...that and MAKE SURE THE ROAD YOU DO THIS ON IS PRETTY STRAIGHT, lol.
..and if you don't have to remove the needle..you're all set
Sorry, I don't mean to scare you. I just want you to know that if there is that detour, you'll know what to do

Old 08-05-2007, 12:48 PM

I did a very detailed write up for installing glow gauges by pulling the needled and recalibrating the needles in the audio/visual forum.

https://mitsubishiforum.com/m_156755/tm.htm

Old 08-23-2007, 12:20 AM

So I installed the gauges today and everything went great, but the thing is, i messed up the spedometer mph gauge and now its not calibrated. How do i go about recalibrating it? Right now i got the needle to lie on zero but i dont think its fully calibrated, also is the fuel and temp gauges automatically in sync?

Old 08-23-2007, 12:45 AM

ORIGINAL: silvercoupe97

No, no, no KN.
It can be done, but there are some with holes that are too small that the needs will have to be removed. You can lay the overlay right over the needles to see if you're going to have to before you actually do.
If you do have to remove any of the needles, they are pretty easy to caliberate by eye. You know where the oil temp or pressure/coolant temps needles sit when it's completely warmed up, just place the needles right where they are normally and same with the RPMs. You know where it should sit at idle and of course the fuel gauge. Worse case for the fuel gauge, you can fill it up and you know where the needle sits when it's full so you can just eyeball it. The speedo is the only one that is tricky because at idle, there's obviously no movement from it. I've got DSMLink and my TT that gives me speed and they're on the dot. I checked it while pacing my wife . That is all you'll have to do, just pace a buddy (keeping in mind to keep the clear lens off) and have your buddy go at XXmph (both of you just need to go a to a set speed), place your needle at that speed really easy at first because you may accidentally place it a little off...that and MAKE SURE THE ROAD YOU DO THIS ON IS PRETTY STRAIGHT, lol.
..and if you don't have to remove the needle..you're all set
Sorry, I don't mean to scare you. I just want you to know that if there is that detour, you'll know what to do
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quick Reply: Glow gauges