2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Granny shifting

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 08:00 PM
Default RE: Granny shifting

Some cars now you can shift clutchless without a grind I know that the 3Gs can from taking a few on beat runs when I was looking at cars. I would think it is good to do often though lol

Old 10-29-2005, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: FireDoc

If you were wondering, granny shifting is what truckers do to shift without the use of the clutch on older transmissions. You run the rpms up from one gear, let off and pull the shifter out of gear and push it into the next before the rpms drop too much and you just end up grinding. It is a normal practice with our forestry water tankers at the firestation. They're ancient.
OOOOHHH *Nasty buzzer sound* WRONG the correct answer is "What it DOUBLE CLUTCHING" Sorry thanks for playing LOL (No hard feelings lol but granny shifting is basically taking your damn sweet time shifting gears.)

Old 10-29-2005, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Also the reason for double clutching isn't to prevent gringsing as much as to match RPMS easier in the trucks because they didn't have syncho's to match things up. And it kept the truckers from snapping the locking pin on the clutch off due to the massive amounts of torque that the diesel engines put out.

Old 10-29-2005, 10:19 PM

Your trans basically has 4 gears (overdrive being the largest). Keeping it off basically prevents the transmission from applying that gear. I will not increase your 0-60 times by locking it out (OD off), but it can prove to make your car more responsive at cruising (roughly between 35-50MPH) speeds by locking it out simply by keeping your engine within it's powerband. The term "overdrive" is used to describe that the ratio of that gear is being overdriven as opposed to gear reduction. YOu should apply the OD at highway speeds to prevent overrevving of the engine and for better fuel economy.

Joel, CA

Old 10-30-2005, 01:50 AM

Any car can shift with out the clutch, my car I just tap the pedal and rip that fu3ker into the gear. Plus I did the clutch restrictor mod so she catches super fast. Smack trannys not girlfriends.

Old 10-30-2005, 02:00 AM

Why is it called double clutching when the clutch has nothing to do with it? By the way mister buzzer, check your dictionary, SANGUINEOUS.

Old 10-30-2005, 02:04 AM

Also, I never said it was to prevent grinding, simply that grinding will occur when not done properly. Maybe you should spend a little less time putting in your insignificant opinion and your arbitrary instructions trying to get yourself another pretty little star and actually READ the subject you are posting on.

Old 10-30-2005, 02:11 AM

And, of course, SANGUINEOUS is correct on the term.[sm=bustedsign.gif]

Old 10-30-2005, 02:42 AM

ORIGINAL: Sanguinius

If you were wondering, granny shifting is what truckers do to shift without the use of the clutch on older transmissions. You run the rpms up from one gear, let off and pull the shifter out of gear and push it into the next before the rpms drop too much and you just end up grinding. It is a normal practice with our forestry water tankers at the firestation. They're ancient.
OOOOHHH *Nasty buzzer sound* WRONG the correct answer is "What it DOUBLE CLUTCHING" Sorry thanks for playing LOL (No hard feelings lol but granny shifting is basically taking your damn sweet time shifting gears.)
no sorry, you are wrong. double clutching is mainly used when downshifting and is very helpful with running autox. it is when you press the clutch, put the car in neutral, let off the clutch, rev the engine to match the RPMS of the where the engine will be when downshifting to the next gear, then pressing the clutch again, and putting the car in gear. i have a video of a racers(not a street racer) who is doing it. i just have to find it.

Old 10-30-2005, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

Why is it called double clutching when the clutch has nothing to do with it? By the way mister buzzer, check your dictionary, SANGUINEOUS.
All right first off DOUBLE CLUTCHING is something truckers do IF you bothered READING my post. DOUBLE CLUTCHING is when you hit the clutch take teh vehicle OUT of gear letting off the clutch AS SOON as it's out of gear to catch the spindle up to engine RPM THEN hit the clutch and throw back in another gear before the spindle slows down. Double clutching isn't frequently used in cars. And if you BOTHERED looking up SANGUINIUS you would find a NAME not a WORD. So any time you care to bother READING and RESEARCHING something you know NOTHING about (Don't MAKE me go on about what the NAME SANGUINIUS means or where it came from.) GAWD people can be so **** about the most retarded shyt.[sm=smiley35.gif][sm=icon_rtfm.gif] And you know if you BOTHERED reading before getting pissed off I was saying what I did in my previous post sarcastically but if you can't take a joke then [sm=smiley35.gif]

Quick Reply: Granny shifting