2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

gst to gsx

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 02:12 AM
Default gst to gsx

The question of the day is has anyone changed a gst to a gsx? I am sure it has been done sometime. I have heard that it cost to much and you would be better off just selling one car and buying another, but at the moment I have ,as most probably do, more in my car than I could get out of it in its present condition, messed up transmission. So the conclusion I have come to is that I have found a awd talon that has been wrecked in the front for a fairly cheap deal and a jdm cyclone complete swap that has an awd transmission. I am thinking that I can get all of this parts wise for cheaper than I have been able to find a new transmission and clutch for my 2g gst. Mind you I am going to do the actually labor for the most part with a little help from a friend that is a professional mechanic. I just wondered how hard it was to put the two together. I know that final affect of haveing a gsx would be kick butt. And basically in theory its not really going to cost much more.

Old 04-13-2004, 03:20 PM
Default gst to gsx

For the hardtop GST to be converted to a GSX, it's gonna require some welding. Quite a bit of welding actually. You see, the GST is a FWD only chassis, there are no parts that would even support the factory AWD system. There is no reinforcement in the GST chassis in the rear or center, so you would need a rollcage or something like that. Also, there is no center tunnel in the undercarriage to support the driveshaft. Adding the center tunnel is a very very hard thing to do. You need to either take out the floor and shape it somehow, or cut and weld and then reinforce. Mind you, cutting and welding might seem like a alright idea, but a lot ofrigidity is drawn from the direct center of the car, so you'd better have a really good welder and some really good reinforcements. Then you'd have to completely take out the rear suspension and swap it with the AWD suspension. The FWD rear suspension definitely won't hold up to any power being transmitted through the rear wheels, and would just bottom out with all the extra weight. Also, you need to add mounts for the driveshaft, differentials and axles. Swap out the gas tank, and use the awd exhaust system. It seems like not much work on paper, but when you actually have to do it....it becomes overwhelming. Your car would be down for quite a while, and the costs of welding will likely outweigh the benefits. Some people have actually done it on 1g's, but i think they've turned their cars into race only cars and went RWD. It's not an easy task, and definitely not a DIY kinda thing. You may have better luck throwing the engine in the back and making it mid-engine RWD.