2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

GSX trans sensor or speed sensor problem???[HELP!]

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 08:14 AM
Default GSX trans sensor or speed sensor problem???[HELP!]

I just bought another second 96' GSX AUTO for the wife and I knew it had some sort of sensor problems but I dont do much mechanical work [i do customizing and easy bolt on stuff] and my import mechanic moved away so it looks like i am on my own to fix this and I will need whoever to give me some feedback on how to fix this...heres what is happening... ,The car has had a tranny swap to a 94' galant gsx or vr4 tranny from its stock AWD trans witch i have and is shot...driving the car is like this...first gear doesent shift in to second gear until 5000 rpm or over and shifts to second hard, when in second it wont shift to third until i wait a few seconds and manualy shift down to second[2] from drive[D] and wait a few seconds and pop it back in drive and feels like it goes into third gear but I'm not sure, and that all I get,no fourth and no fifth.After i get the car to shift to second and third it will not shift back down to first until i turn the car off and it resets.the OverDrive button does not work eather. The cars engine and turbo runs strong and nothing too crazy yet in upgrades [lots of replaced parts TRING TO FIX THE PROBLEM like new T 25 turbo, new side mount intercooler, k and n air, ngk spark plugs,accel spark plug wires and new MAS.]but i need to know where to find the suposed sensor problem and what to do when i do.do i need a new tranny or is this just a sensor problem? Yes the 'check engine' light is on and if you need the autozone dinogstics #'s i can get them. last time i spoke to my mechanic he said it sounds like a sensor or solinoid going out. As of now the car is sitting until i figure this out. Any DSM people have any usefull info will be awsome.thanks you for looking at what i have to say.[sm=WTFsgign.gif][sm=smiley25.gif]

Old 07-27-2006, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: GSX trans sensor or speed sensor problem???[HELP!]

The first thing i would try is to reset the ecu, and see if that does anything, if the CEL comes back on then try and get the code so you know exactly what sensor is throwing it. Other than that i dont know too much about automatics so any detailed stuff im not much help, sorry

Old 07-28-2006, 02:37 AM

well i will post the dinogstics numbers soon, do you think you could help with that? I stopped by Aamco and they recremonded a tranny filter change[but i did that alredy].they make it sound real tricky to fix a AWD tranny sensor and say that thoes things dont last long...and then they have the nerve to say GSX'S ARE REAL UNDEPENDABLE CARS![TALKED **** all the way till i showed them my GSX, witch i had to follow my wife there incase the car quit or died.it did not]that shut em' up quick.I do have to say i really hate AUTO'S ! DOWN SIDE to trip,I got a big ticket on the way back today[speedin'].BUT HEY ,thanks alot TheEngineer for taking time to help out with a post but i will let the guys from Light Speed INC. mess with the ecu. unless that is you can point me in the right direction.

Old 07-28-2006, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

well do you happen to have an autozone near you, or a place that has an OBDII reader that will do it for free because getting the engine code will tell you just about everything you need to know i think.

Old 08-12-2006, 01:46 AM

OK,I have the codes from autozone:
1.number crossed: P0170
TROUBLESHOOTING:
the pcn has determined that during testing, the fuel compensation valve for bank 1 exceeded the specified range. [bank 1 identifies the location of cylinder #1 while bank 2 identifies the cylenders on the opposite bank.]

2.number crossed: P0125
TROUBLESHOOTING:
The pcm has determined that the amount of time it took for the coolant temperature sensor to reach an input valve consistent with closed loop operation was too excessive.

3.number crossed: P0105
TROUBLESHOOTING:
The pcm has determined that a malfunction exists in the electrical circut for the manifold absolute pressure sensor or the barometric pressure sensor.

and no troubleshooting came up because thease codes were manufacture codes or something:
P1105
P1715

Old 08-12-2006, 09:04 AM

I looked around on the web to learn about the codes that had no troubleshoot and this is what i came up with...:

P1105 :fuel pressure solenoid circut fault.

P1715 :No CCD message from TCM

I've been around talking with people about how to fix this and I will be having a neighbor help mess with some stuff but still kind of lost on what part I will be needing and how to fix this crap...
any chance of help???

Old 08-18-2006, 11:10 AM

i now feel this is not a tranny problem even though its not a W4a33.the tranny says W4a32 but is good.i feel its a ECU problem...
any chance of further help.....

Old 08-22-2006, 07:31 AM

no help?c'mon...this was going so well. oh well,there is always dsmsource...

Old 08-22-2006, 02:41 PM

if the sensor went out on it you wouldn't be getting any read on the speedo, or the odometer. it could be the ECU telling it that has to go this fast in order to switch because of the tranny swap, it could be reading the tranny wrong some how.

Old 08-22-2006, 03:06 PM

well there is another guy on another dsm site that says i might have fried out my ECU from uncompatible solinoids in the tranny.I might need few solinoids.did you mean the speed sensor?the tranny issue is now a fact that it is compatible,the solinoids might just be the only problem.i still have no clue untill it shifts right or i do something to ger her fixed....

Quick Reply: GSX trans sensor or speed sensor problem???[HELP!]