2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Head is about to come off.. but need some HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 10:53 PM
Default Head is about to come off.. but need some HELP!

Hey guys. I got the timing belt off finally. And now I am working on the head. The head bolts are off, but the head is still sitting there on top off the block. My questions are:

1. Should I remove the manifolds? or anything at all? Or can I just pull the head off with everything connected to it? (is yes, damn! That is one heavy biatch! LOL!)

2. If the water pump goes out, the timing belt will still be there, right? Or would the timing belt bust? How can you tell when the water pump is out?

3. Any suggestions on taking off the head? Anything at all (that would help)

Old 12-27-2006, 11:24 PM
Default RE: Head is about to come off.. but need some HELP!

PIC:

Sorry about the blurry pic. I couldnt get a better pic.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:28 PM

well i took my exhaust mani off and then lifted it off as one (head and intake manifold). what do you mean by the water pump? if the head is off id replace the water pump. did you put the pin in the tensioner?

Old 12-27-2006, 11:32 PM

nope. Is that bad? I just loosened up the pulley tensioner bolt. And just slipped the timing belt off. What should I have put the pin in the tensioner?

About the water pump... I was just asking what would happen if the water pump went out. Would the timing belt bust? How would you know when the water pump goes? (this is just a general question) I am planning on changing the water pump though.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:42 PM

well you would over heat, that can tell you.but if it went out it wouldnt do anything, just not cool the car. the pin is there for when you put it back together you tighten the idler pulley and then pull the pin on the tensioner (i call it a gernade) so that when the belt stretches, the belt will still stay tight. it should say in a chilton's book but just put it into a vise to compress the pin and put a very small .050 pin / allen wrench and youll be good to go. hope this helps

Old 12-28-2006, 01:09 AM

It shouldnt be THAT heavy. The gasket might be holding the head on the block

Old 12-28-2006, 01:37 AM

1. Well, when the head gasket blew... (as we all think it did) my car was smoking badly and it was overheating. Could the smoke be caused by the water pump? Is that possible?

2. About that pin, I didnt put anything in there. I just loosened up that pulley tensioner bolt and slipped out the timing belt. Is that "pin" really necessary? I am still not getting why it is? Is the pin just there to keep the belt in place when putting it in? Please explain a little more.. lol!

Old 12-28-2006, 01:44 AM

the smoke was coolant getting on hot parts or oil getting on hot parts

Old 12-28-2006, 01:54 AM

it wasnt just a cloud of smoke. It was a continous burst of smoke coming out. It would stop.

1. Can this mean, that it could just be the water pump?

2. And... i noticed to marks on one of the cam gears (the one on the left). Which mark to I line it up with, with the other cam?

3. And also, when putting on the timing belt, all the marks have to be lined up? right? If yes, what if they moved during the process of lets say... putting on the head gasket or valve cover gasket some how. Can I just maually line them up? In other words, as long as everything is lined up when installing the belt, I should be ok? right?

Old 12-28-2006, 03:43 PM

Anyone?

Quick Reply: Head is about to come off.. but need some HELP!