2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Headlight Socket keeps burning up :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Default Headlight Socket keeps burning up :(

I have 1999 Eclipse GS and one of the many problems I've been having with my car is my driver's side headlight socket keeps shorting out and burning up causing my headlight to obviously go out. I've replaced the headlight socket once before about 2 months ago thinking I had solved the problem but low and behold, it just happened again. I've been told this is a common occurrence for this type of car like a lot of things I've been told (fluid leaks I hear are a common complaint, too).

So does anyone have any ideas what is causing this to happen so regularly? I was told by someone it could be caused by moisture getting into my headlight causing the short to happen. But I don't think this is the case because I don't notice any moisture on the inside such as my headlight being foggy.

I did search the forums to see if anyone else had this problem and didn't see any similar posts hence my posting.

Any thoughts or ideas are much appreciated.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Default RE: Headlight Socket keeps burning up :(

check your wires. do you see any that may have wear on them? a fray for example? or perhaps right at the connection, maby it is slipping out and shorting.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:21 PM

I didn't notice any frayed wires and the connection seems pretty tight.

Another question I have is when I replace the headlight socket with an aftermarket one from Autozone, the two wires that I connect to the existing wires in the headlight, does it matter which wire connects to which? The first aftermarket headlight socket I bought had to black wires so therefore I figured it didn't matter. Now the new replacements I bought today have a black and yellow wire, not two black wires.

So does it matter? Has anyone had to replace their headlight sockets before?

Old 01-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Are you using aftermarket bulbs or stock replacements?

Old 01-10-2009, 09:37 PM

ORIGINAL: dsm1990gsx

Are you using aftermarket bulbs or stock replacements?
I've never had to replace the bulbs myself and I didn't check last time I replaced the headlight socket but I'll be sure to do that tomorrow. I'm assuming if the aftermarket package says, for instance I need "9006" replacement bulbs, that doesn't necessarily mean that'll work with my current lighting system? Or if they do, there is the chance for shorting out?

Old 01-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

If you have a higher amerage bulb it could cause the problems your having. Just something to check.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:48 PM

ORIGINAL: dsm1990gsx

If you have a higher amerage bulb it could cause the problems your having. Just something to check.
All right, thanks for the information, it's actually helped a lot.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:48 PM

if you still have problems let me know. and i can ask a buddy.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:36 AM

ORIGINAL: BrodyGuy

if you still have problems let me know. and i can ask a buddy.
All right, thanks. I'm going to hopefully get the new headlight socket installed today with my new headlight bulbs in the foot of snow we got yesterday.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:52 PM

goodluck. sun came out around here today. its got 5 feet of snow to melt. sloshfest.

Quick Reply: Headlight Socket keeps burning up :(