2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

...help

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 06:28 PM
Default ...help

Ok boys and girls, I'm stumped!

So a couple days ago after running a friend home i was driving home and wanted to have some fun boosting. So i started out in first gear at a light and didn't floor it but pushed the car pretty hard. When the car got up to 4 rpms it didn't want to go past it. it started to hop and buck (felt like riding a buckign bronco). and it only happened in 1st gear All confused and annoyed i went home and took the car out the next day. I was able to get it above 4 rpms, but between 4 and 5 it would bog and feel slow and then would go back up to regular power after 5. stupid, but i just assumed i would need to clean the filter or something. ya know, not enough Air getting in.

OK, now to make matters even more annoying. I got new tires in the front yesturday and was driving around last night feeling the tires, having fun. I down shifted to 2nd to get through a light and when i got up to around 5 rpms the car bogged really bad and felt like I slammed on the brakes hard. THis has happened in teh past and all I had to do was swtich gears. Again, it may be an air problem. My intercooler is really old and a lot of the grills are bent and crap. But this time my Check Engine Light came on!!! Dam It!! But the car is running the same as before the light came on. I don't smell unburnt gas so I don't think it's Oxy Sensor, and All my piping that I can see is still attached.

I'm taking the car down to Mitsu tomorrow but was hoping someone may give me an Idea of what have happened.

Owning a DSM is a Love/Hate relationship...

Old 08-23-2006, 07:09 PM
Default RE: ...help

maybe just need new plugs and wires

Old 08-23-2006, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

well at first how you were talking about it, sounded like spark plugs and wires. But then when you said it felt like you hit the brake, that one sounds like fuel cut. Is the Check engine light still on. If it is i bet you probably got a random misfire code.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:38 AM

Also try reseting the memory. Disconnect the negative side of the battery for a couple minutes.

Old 08-24-2006, 04:03 AM
Default aww

Ok, tomorrow I'll go down to NAPA Autoparts Store and get new Plugs and Wires and reset the codes.

Also, how much do you think stock SMICs cost? I know i need a new one. lol

Yay, this makes me happy to have hope that I wont need to go to a dealership.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:18 PM
Default RE: aww

dont bother getting a new stock one, get a used supra SMIC, or since im getting a supra SMIC, i'll sell u mine, the inside was just cleaned and 95% of the fins are fine and i can fix all but 4 of them

Old 08-25-2006, 04:26 AM
Default RE: aww

how much you willing to sell yours for?