2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 05:11 PM
Default Help!!

Ok, so i'm driving my GST to school the other morning and look down to check my gauges and what do ya know!? my engine is a CM from overheating!! I was like WTF!? So i took it over to a local shop to have it check out. I've own the car for a week and haven't raced it nor have redlined it.
I picked the car up after work. They said my thermostat had stuck closed which caused my car to overheat. I was very relieved and the car was running fine.
Until that night when suddenly my check engine light came back on! it was too late to take it back to the shop so i drove it back to my house (3 minute drive away). I was assuming all night that the shop hadn't set the computer correctly, i was also crossing my fingers.
The next day i drove my car back to the shop. I realized that after sitting all night in my driveway the engine had heated up to half way after a couple minutes of driving slow. Thats when i knew something else was wrong.
After school i went back to the shop to check up on my car yet again and they explained to me that it may be that the head gasket is starting to crack. fuuuuck. They said that there is too much pressure in the head which is causing the engine light to come on.
Today they're checking to make sure the Head is not warped nor cracked.

Can anyone here explain to me what may have happened to my car??
My old honda had a warped head and I was shooting white smoke and overheating like crazy. My mitsu isn't overheating nor is shooting any smoke. so i dont' think the head is warped. Plus i checked the oil and there doesn't seem to be any coolant in the oil.

Can any tell me any good news? [sm=helpout.gif][X(][]

Old 02-10-2006, 05:34 PM
Banned
Default RE: Help!!

Is the car performing any different? How bad did you over heat it?

Old 02-10-2006, 06:30 PM

blown head gaskets dont cause check engine lights directly, or cause engines to overheat. they can cause coolant to boil however. is it still overheating or is the check engine light all your concerned about? go to an autostore or aamco and have them tell u what the code it reading

Old 02-10-2006, 07:27 PM

The car isn't performing any different, and the car was sitting very very close to the H in temp but never passed it.
When the car was over heating the coolant was overheating. I'm concerned about the check engine light still comming on.

I had a diagnostic done to it at the shop and it said that there was too much pressure in the head.

Old 02-10-2006, 07:28 PM

my poor car

Old 02-10-2006, 08:22 PM

Well, for all that are curious.
It turns out that Cyl 3 & 4 were blown and seeping. GD.

Well, back to driving the Del Sol for a couple of days.[sm=smiley35.gif][sm=boohoo.gif]

Old 02-10-2006, 08:29 PM

that sucks

Old 02-10-2006, 08:38 PM

ouch. you buy it like that? go yell at the seller

Old 02-10-2006, 10:17 PM

ORIGINAL: PooT_Nation

Well, for all that are curious.
It turns out that Cyl 3 & 4 were blown and seeping. GD.

Well, back to driving the Del Sol for a couple of days.[sm=smiley35.gif][sm=boohoo.gif]
what is blown on the #3 and 4? did you do a compression check to figure it that out?

Old 02-11-2006, 03:22 AM

ya, it turns out that it is the head gasket that was starting to blow actually. It hadn't fully blown yet but it was seeping.

I give props to the guy i bought it from. I told him what was going on and he is sending me some money to help pay for the repair work. He feels like ****. I admire him for that.

Buy yes, it does suck. I get it back monday. WooT

Quick Reply: Help!!