2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Help on pricing ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 01:14 AM
Default Help on pricing ...

Ok heres the deal ....

My G/F's mom is getting rid of her other daughters car. It is a 1996 eclipse spider gs-t convertable. Obviously most of you would know that as the 2.0 turbo and it is automatic. It has 102200 miles and the car will not run or move .... I am going to take a look at it this weekend but by the sounds of it I think she blew the engine and tranny. She was in an accident about a month ago and wiped out the passenger side grouns effects and dented most of that side. Then last week someone took off the drivers side mirror when the drove by her car. And I also know the top does leak. SO ... heres my problem ... they wont say exactly what they payed for it ... but they said they put $5000 down when they went and bought it .... and they dont know what they want for it now .... but before I offered to buy it , she was gonna send it to the junkyard .... Gee how money changes peoples minds ....I am figuring $500 is a little to much but I know what I can do with it if can get it running again ....I really would like some real input on this. Thanks.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:26 AM
Default RE: Help on pricing ...

what makes you think she blew the engine and tranny?

Old 03-27-2007, 01:52 AM

I have to look at it this weekend ... but what they told us is that if/when it does start it will move forward but it bucks and dies ... and it will not go into reverse at all.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:52 AM

sounds like it's stuck in gear... sounds like a complete nightmare to me. on the other hand you can buy a new engine and trani for about 2-3k these days. the body work won't be fun either though. i personally woudn't even mess with it but it's ur call. i'd say 300-400 bucks. you could at least part it out (whats left of it) and make a couple hundred bucks.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:17 AM

RCJr is right... buy it for like $400 and part the f*cker out... hit me up if you do this as I need a few parts.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:18 PM

I found an engine for $550 and a tranny for $250 a couple of towns away from me .... I think its just a 2.0 w/out the turbo ... will that make a difference if I just swap over the turbo set-up?? I am a Ford Probe fanatic ... I have a daily driver and a couple of parts cars and I know the older models the 2.0 and the turbo are the same ... you can just swap a turbo set-up on it and go ... but I know some cars have different set-ups ... like pistons and cranks when they have turbo ....

I also found a body kit for $365 shipped, and a new cloth top (like it has) for $275 shipped. As for the body work ... Thats what I went to school for (and so did my G/F) so fixing that with the kit installed will be easy for me.

I figure if this works out like that, and paying about $500 or less then getting all new brakes and tires ... and painting it ... I should be into the car for about $2500-$2800 ....

I think it will work out better that way ,,,, I just wanted the advice about what its worth as is now ... KBB.com doesnt give out prices for cars in this bad of shape ... lol .. so I came to a site with knowledgable people .... Thanks. [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 03-27-2007, 03:30 PM

tha sounds like a good idea. the 2.0 will be SUPER SLOW in that car though. they normally either come with the 2.0 turbo'd or 2.4l n/a and for a reason. the spyder's are very heavy due to the motor for the convertible top so it needs extra power to toat it around. the 2.0 must be a 4g63 or don't waste your time. you can turbo it but the n/a version will only take about 250whp before it needs a bottom end rebuild.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:11 PM

So basically if it wasnt a turbo motor that I get ... I cant just swap it over ... there will be alot of work to do that ,,,,,?

I know the car it has is turbo ... so if the motor is no good .. I have to find another turbo motor with out the turbo to replace it with .... then I can put the turbo in that motor ...

That sound about right??

Old 03-27-2007, 05:14 PM

YES that sounds right

Old 03-27-2007, 05:23 PM

You cant put a 4G63 where there used to be a 420a... unless that non turbo motor you found is a n/a 4G63, it aint gonna work.

Quick Reply: Help on pricing ...