2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Helping with Tune up and Modding...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 09:44 AM
GST
Default Helping with Tune up and Modding...

hello, after doing the following..
- Chrome INtake,
-Exhaust
-Ebach Spring
- new Spark plugs/wire
- Greddy BOV , recirculation adaptor on its way
- ( will get Rear and Front Strut Bar a month later)

i'm pretty clueless it what i should do in terms of juicing up my car... it's an auto GSt. 1995.. it got pretty faster than the stock which i bought a month ago.. hmmm.. I' duno what the next step should be.. can anyone help? oh yea.. my budget is kindda low right now.. so i won't be having money to buy a new turbo yet... I could read off the articles and stuff.. but i tihnk it's more accurate, getting info from people who have done it before. THANKs.. please give me feedbacks.

Old 02-15-2006, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Helping with Tune up and Modding...

Get a MBC and a boost guage and turn up the boost to around 15 psi thats a cheap way to gain some HP. You can get a Guage for around $70 and the MBC for about 30-50 (for a halfway decent one). While your getting a Boost guage you might as well get the air/fuel guage too, not really necessary though.

Old 02-15-2006, 11:36 AM
GST

that's pretty nice! hmm.. what is a MBC .. may i ask?.. so.. a Boost gauge, MBC, and a fuel measure... so it's like the pilar that some Eclipse hand? is it like the 3 circle pillar?.. hmm.. should i get a turbo timer for my car?.. since it's turbo.. and do i need to buy a separate harness to go with the timer?.. thanks.. i know it's a lot of question.. i'm just so excited about tunning and modding right now.. ><..

Old 02-15-2006, 11:58 AM

if your on a low budget dont worry about a turbo timer yet just, sit in your car after a hard drive for 1-2 minutes and wait for it to cool down. when you buy the timer it comes with everything you dont have to buy anything but dont worry about that yet. A mbc is a manual boost controller meaning in orderr to turn the boost up your gonna have to get out your car and use your hand as a pose to the electric one which is more expensive where you can adjust it from inside the car. The guage and the pillars are too different things the guages go inside the pillar. if i where your i would not start modding my car as of yet, i would research for a little while since you dont even have the basic knowledge of your vechile. but i guess this would be considered research . well ask more questions before you mess with your car man theres alot more guys in here thats way more knowledgable than me when it comes to G-S-Ts.

Old 02-15-2006, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

To buy an electric boost controller it would be WAY more expensive. But like i said you can get a manual boost controller for pretty cheap. But if you are going to get it you MUST get a boost guage. What a MBC is, is basically a spring valve with a bolt that loosens or tightens the spring with a metal ball on the other and of it, which adjusts how much air it lets through. There are two hoses that come off of it. These, if i remeber corectly, get attached to part of the turbo and the other to the wastegate. Adjusting the bolt will then either raise or lower how much boost your car will run. The guage is needed to monitor the boost and make sure you don't over boost it. To me this is the best mod to do at this time for the lowest cost.

Old 02-15-2006, 12:19 PM
GST

haahha.. thanks you guys.. yea.. i know i should do research, but i think i learn a lot more and dosen't waste time reading articles.. i can just ask the ones who happen to know stuff in here... i thikn that's what a forum is for, and it saves time also... MBC .. is a Manual boost controller, i tihnk i'll start getting that and the Boost gauge at once.. so it should be set at 15psi, is a good amount?.. hmm.. some guy offering is sell an Intercooler for 100bucks, do you tihnk it's a scam?... it's a slightly used intercooler from a 1997gst.. yea.. so far.. i got... 6 bucks.. lol.. i'm just another poor college student.. oh yea.. one more question... where does the intercooler located at? and..
there's one hose in the engine i always wanna ask, but nobody around me seems to know...The neon green arrow points to. .i duno what hose that call.. my friend said it makes the car goes faster, if you change that from a regular hose to a metal one...

[IMG]local://upfiles/6641/5AAB411CAF6A4DC59F72D02EEA0DF0E2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-15-2006, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

man thats alot of question to answer all at once but i'll try.....

15psi is probably a good point to stay at, you could get up to 17 but thats starting to push it, especially for daily, i mean why over work the turbo if you really don't need to.

For the intercooler i am assuming that is a stock one, in which case its not a bad deal but you don't need it since you already have one that works fine on the car. Your intercooler is located on the passenger side. If you look in the front bumper hole on the passenger side you will see it.

And that hose your talking about is the Upper intercooler piping. The intercooler has two pipes that go from it, one is coming from, the turbo (lower intercooler pipe) and the other is that one which goes into your intake. Changing it to a hardpipe will gain you some HP as well. Not sure how much the pipes go for though. A couple of places to check out would be www.dsmparts.com or dsm tuners

Old 02-15-2006, 01:06 PM

Is the hose you are pointing to rubber? If so a metal pipe would help. One thing to do for free is cut out the plastic behind the intercooler and put a metal screen over the hole. this makes the ic a lil better at cooling. also you can make the opening in you front bumper a little large by grinding away the plastic. I kind of started the same post when i got my car see the post titled free upgrades? Maybe? for more ideas. also vfaqs.com is a good site to checkout.

Old 02-15-2006, 03:19 PM

I really want to stress that you should perform a FULL tune up and fluid change before you do anysort of modifications. If you modify your car while it is running improperly it will only compound the problem and cause you more headaches down the road.

Also make sure you read www.vfaq.com .... Front to Back

Other then that, a MBC is a great first upgrade
Eric

Old 02-15-2006, 08:19 PM

His upper IC pipe isnt plastic in that pic I dont think...Its shiny looking?

Quick Reply: Helping with Tune up and Modding...