2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Hey, I've got a major problem.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 06:56 PM
Default Hey, I've got a major problem.

Okay, so I was driving home from a movie the other night (it was actually 1 AM) and my car started to overheat. I didn't think anything of it and I stopped to put water and antifreeze in it because I know that I have a leak somewhere and that always seemed to help. The reason that it was overheating was because my electrical fan fuse is blown and everytime I change it, it blows again. So I shrugged, closed the hood and went on my merry way. I got about 20 miles and it started to do it again. I started to curse a little bit because I only had half a gallon of stuff mixed and I used it on my prior stop. I was only 20 miles from a place where I could stop again so I kept driving (I know, not a very smart move) Then came the problem. I got to past the "okay, you are super hot" line and I stopped the car. When I pushed the clutch in, my car automatically died and I have to wrestle it over to the shoulder. As I did so, smoke started to roll out from under the seam of the hood. Not good I thought. I popped it and smoke just billowed out. The exhaust manifold was red hot, again, not good. So I sat there and waited for it to cool down and tried to start it again. When I turned the key, it acted like it wanted to start but wouldn't turn over. I called my girlfriend's stepdad and he came and got us but before we left I tried to start it again. He put his hand over the exhaust pipe as I turned the key to start it and he said that he felt the air from the pipe showing that the cylinders were firing but it wouldn't turn over. So, he drove me home and I got a ride out there the next day. I popped the hood again and I noticed the plastic piece that covers the spark plugs was pretty melted in areas so I know that I was boiling pretty good when I stopped the previous night. I shook my head because I couldn't pinpoint what was wrong with it. Someone suggested that I might have blown a head gasket but I checked the overflow tank and radiator and there was still liquid there. So if it was blown both should have been empty, right? I really need some help here guys and gals. My car is a '90 GSX with the cyclone intercooler setup in it. Turbo, no upgrades to speak of. Any help is appreciated, I pray for something simple but I'm not sure if it is. Thanks.

Old 07-16-2006, 08:16 PM
Banned
Default RE: Hey, I've got a major problem.

Maybe your water pump isnt working right... maybe you have a coolant blockage or something... dude that sucks

Old 07-16-2006, 10:44 PM

could also try flushing your water system.

Old 07-18-2006, 03:23 AM

Well, there is a possible coolant problem. Only I think that if the water pump had been replaced before they didn't use a hi-temp silicon because I have a huge freaking leak from that general vicinity. Oh yeah, and when I took off the cover for the spark plug wires and attempted to remove them the freaking boots broke. That's right, they broke because they freaking MELTED! I had to buy a new set of wires and while I was at it, I got the better ones (silicon from Napa) as well as new spark plugs thinking that it was possible that all the melted rubber and plastic was hindering its starting status. I get it all buttoned back up and still nothing. I then decide to do a compression check and well, this is where I get super scared. Since it is an interference motor I am afraid I screwed up a valve or two because when I did the compression check, I got 25 psi on the first and jack squat on the other three. Please please please tell me I didn't blow the motor. Tell me I just need to adjust my timing and all that. You know, find top dead center and make sure the exhaust valve is open. I know that someone is going to have to break me the news that my motor is dead, but whoever does, tell me a website where I can find a 4g63-T from a 90-92.5 Eclipse or Galant VR-4 (this one is preferred because its the JDSM model that I have in my car currently) Thanks guys.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:40 AM
Banned

Ok check that the cams and everything are aligned correctly. Also check your head gasket. If that is blown that can cause that...

Did you do the test right??? Remember the 4 stroke sequance... it will only measure compression on a power stroke... maybe you didnt have the key turned long enough.

If the head gasket and timing belt are fine... then you are lookin at a new motor.

Old 07-18-2006, 07:32 PM

maybe not a whole new motor but at least a new or rebuilt head.

Old 07-18-2006, 08:31 PM
Banned

Well... yea

Old 07-19-2006, 12:03 AM

I hate to be the one to say this...but that is my exact story....one whole engine later....and 7 months....i am happy again

Old 07-19-2006, 12:43 AM

well ive so far got my motor out of the car, and its been 2.5 months since it ran and ive already got a short block for it but im thinking about doing some head work.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:21 AM
Banned

dude your car will be mad fast...

Quick Reply: Hey, I've got a major problem.