2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

HID question

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Default HID question

hey whats up everyone? the owner before me had projectors on his eclipse, i wanna get some HIDs cause the lights are too dim, is it possible? my friend told me its not cause if I do put the H1 HID bulb in there its gonna melt the housing or something? am i better off just getting stock headlights from a junkyard and then get the HIDs?

Old 08-15-2007, 06:57 AM
Default RE: HID question

or you can keep your projectors and get higher wattage bulbs from the parts store...

Old 08-15-2007, 08:06 AM

ORIGINAL: tjbiker031

or you can keep your projectors and get higher wattage bulbs from the parts store...
A big no, no. Higher wattage bulbs are what cause wire insulation to melt and cause issues such as fires from the higher power draw. If the stock bulbs are 55 watt bulbs, use 55 watt bulbs or redo the wiring with thicker gauge wires.

ORIGINAL: justnobody

hey whats up everyone? the owner before me had projectors on his eclipse, i wanna get some HIDs cause the lights are too dim, is it possible? my friend told me its not cause if I do put the H1 HID bulb in there its gonna melt the housing or something? am i better off just getting stock headlights from a junkyard and then get the HIDs?
Folks do this all the time, replacing the halogen with HID kits, on their stock headlight housing without melting anything. It won't melt the housing, high wattage bulbs will though, if it doesn't fire up the wires first.
BTW, H1 bulbs are foglight bulbs, that's why the light output sucks. Well, that and they obviously aren't real projector bulbs/lights.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:49 PM

Dont HID bulbs actually run cooler than standard light bulbs for head lights? The HID bulbs will spray light all over in the stock housing. They have ways to modify the stock housing to help project the light in the right direction. I am sure if you do a search online someone has it all done with picture by picture instructions. If you put HID lights in a real crappy head light housing it is possible to have worst lighting than before since the light wont be projected in the right direction and be wasted possibly pointing down at your bumper. My opinion is to just get some clean stock housings and put in the silverstar bulbs. They are night and day with the stock bulbs.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6177/A6ECB7AC44814C96BA07F6DF62EC425D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-16-2007, 02:22 AM

ORIGINAL: antlip

Dont HID bulbs actually run cooler than standard light bulbs for head lights? The HID bulbs will spray light all over in the stock housing. They have ways to modify the stock housing to help project the light in the right direction. I am sure if you do a search online someone has it all done with picture by picture instructions. If you put HID lights in a real crappy head light housing it is possible to have worst lighting than before since the light wont be projected in the right direction and be wasted possibly pointing down at your bumper. My opinion is to just get some clean stock housings and put in the silverstar bulbs. They are night and day with the stock bulbs.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6177/A6ECB7AC44814C96BA07F6DF62EC425D.jpg[/IMG]
Thats what i'm doing. Going to pick up the high and low beams here sometime soon