2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

HKS CamShafts

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 08:55 AM
Default HKS CamShafts

Well here's the deal, I was planning on changing the timing and balancer belts, so i figured that since im going in there i might as well change the water pump as well as all the pullies with lighter performance pullies, along with changing the cam gears to AEM cam gears. I also seem to have a small gasket leak so i figure i might as well change the head gasket as well and since im oppening up the engine I just might as well change the cam shafts lol! So what do you guys think of Hks Camshafts? I got 2 versions to choose from with the first with a degree rating of 264 and the other at 273. Which degree rating would be best? And have any of you guys done this mod before? Noticable power gains? What else should i change in there along with the camshafts? I was told to get new hks performance valve springs as well so I'll probally go ahead and do that. I was also told that there would be some slight modifications required to install the hks camshafts. <----what would this involve? Well I already have everything now to do the belts pullies and gears i just need to wait till next thursday to order the shafts and valves springs, but id just like opinions before i shell out $800 for them. One last thing, will changing the shafts make me idle a little rough? Thanks guys.

Old 03-17-2005, 02:51 PM
Default RE: HKS CamShafts

Alright, first off def go with aftermarket valve springs cause depending on lift of a new cam you can get floating at higher rpm's cuase they're not stiff enough. Also before you shell out that money for the HKS cams look into crane cams. They're gonna be a lot cheaper, as cheap as half that, and it's also a really good brand and they're been making cams for a long time. They will also most likely have range of cams from street to full race to choose from. As for the idle this is something that may become a problem the more radical a cam you go with. Idle and everyday drivablility goes down as the power you're gonna get from a cam goes up. Don't think of cams as a bolt on to get you more power, yes you will but pick the right one to compliment your other plans, that's when you'll see the real differance, when you have it all setup with just the right cam. Please don't pay $800 for the HKS's without looking into Crane, that's far too much money even for a pair for a DOHC motor.

Old 03-18-2005, 08:25 PM

he's right, $800 for camshafts!!! no man, find out somewhere else for disffrent prices. You will feels the diffrence of power but what I recomend you is to change the camshafts along with the adjustable pulleys. And about the rough idle, it depends in how you have set your car.

Old 03-18-2005, 10:04 PM

Well the rough idle and/or a different idle is all about how extreme the lift and duration is on the cam you have. If you look for a street performance type cam you probably won't see a huge differance in daily driving.

Old 03-19-2005, 12:22 AM

there are plenty of good cams out there but if your heart is set on HKS Road Race has them $550 for the set. you would be happiest with a 264intake/272 exhaust combo. that will give you good top end power and keep your car streetable. your idle will sound cool but wont idle poorly. if you went with 272/272 you would have more power but idle would suffer and have a lot less low-mid range power for everyday driving.

Old 03-19-2005, 02:44 AM

Yea, I found a place that has them for 600, just a little more, but I would still look into crane before buying the HKS ones.

Old 03-21-2005, 12:48 AM

I think RRE has them for like 400? Im not sure, check em out at www.4g63.com.

Old 03-21-2005, 12:59 AM

theyre site says 600 for the set but theyre great guys every timne ive actaully gone to the shop to buy something they always sell for like $50 cheaper and tax free too