2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

How do you make a 1.8 perform ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 09:12 PM
Default RE: How do you make a 1.8 perform ?

Alright, im only 16 years old, so im not real super smart with this stuff (hense why i didnt know about the AC thing). But from what iv heard from all the mechnicsa iv talked to, putten a new engine in is not worth the time. I dont think its the best option personally. But if you feel confident enough to drop a new engine in, and really really wanna keep this talon..then yeah go for it!

Old 11-15-2004, 09:55 AM

nice for the macanics but i trust a macinest more than a macanic because hes the one that millls the head bores the piston ports and polishes the head and knows what parts are the ****. now i talked to my macinest about it and he said it was a wast of time and effort to do all that to the 1.8 when u could get more power from buying a new 2.0L motor. It would be wiser to buy the new motor becuse u are leaving out the fact that not only would he need all the stuff u said he needed but more should be added "basicley u would need a new head" not just cams to perfore properly. just because a motor is suped "non turbo" dosent mean it is worth it because he is puting more stress on the motor that he has now and that leads to stuff breaking.

Old 11-15-2004, 10:03 AM

The, ahhh... air conditioning business is a joke.

Though, I sort of think that it would be kind of awesome to remove the air conditioning compressor and then replace it with a belt driven supercharger that can be turned on and off.

Just for fun.

This particular modification does not exist though, unless somehow I could design it.
I could handle the tooling part but how does the math work on something like this ?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyhow, in terms of some 'bolt-on' performance lately I did install a "balance shaft eliminator" kit on this car and I have noticed that it now has increased oil pressure and it revs like crazy!

Sort-of took a little bit of the sluggishness out of the accelleration.

However, the car still has weak torque though.

DT

Old 11-17-2004, 01:24 PM

O-kay, I gotta plan.

2 things, namely #1 add a little bolt-on performance like a cold air inducer and performance muffler,

then...

#2 loose some serious weight like the back seat, spare tire, tire jack, dog, 1/2 tank of gas, and replace the steel hood with a carbon fiber composite hood (maybe 30lbs lighter.

These simple mod's should liven up the torque without going radical.

DT

Old 11-17-2004, 04:31 PM

yea, that would help, a little, but if your serious about getting more hp out of it, i would do what was suggested and drop in a new engine, plus the nice thing about droping a new engine in is you can mod it before you even drop it in, makes it much easier to work on, dont have to worry about buying new parts for some time and you know exactly what is going into it............. oh and if you decide to stick with what you have and start to mod it, you will also have to upgrade the fuel system, which means new injectors, fuel rail, regulator, a/f guage, piggy back computer, and im sure im forgetting some stuff..........

Old 11-17-2004, 05:50 PM

O-kay, so how do you upgrade to a better engine.

I mean if I opt. for a 4G63 I can buy the longblock assembly but how do I get the rest of it ? Manifolds, brackets, ECM, harnesses, etc. ?

How is an upgrade usually done ?

DT