2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

trying to perform a spyder...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 10:12 PM
Default trying to perform a spyder...

Hi peoples. I'm fresh to this forum. I recently might have purchased the wrong model of the Eclipse for performing. I bought a 97' Eclipse spyder convertible. It has the 2.4L engine with no turbo. Now I have it and it's in wonderful condition. Only thing now is i want to put a turbo kit on it. Can i replace the header with the turbo kit or would it just be best to engine swap it with the 2.0L. Would it maybe be best to get a turbo header for it. It seems to me this model of the eclipse wasn't made for these modificatios considering they dont even make a intake for it. Really confused on my performance approach. I'm sitting on a lot of money here and need all yall's opinion on how to spend it wisly. I'm trying to achieve 500hp or more. thanks peeps...[X(] and plzzz help? pretty plzzz?

chadd

Old 04-01-2005, 10:41 AM
Default RE: trying to perform a spyder...

Hey man, welcome to this forum, I too have also run into the same problem that you have. They do make performance parts they are just rare I have found. Injen makes the CAI for this model. From what I have been told you do not have to do an engine swap, you can put a turbo on that one. Our engine is a 4g64, I was told that parts from a 2g 4g63 will swap to our enigine (heads, etc..) So far around my area I have only found one person who has a 2.4l turbo and it runs dang good. I can't really give that much advice being this is the first 4cyl I have ever owned, I am a V-8 mustang guy myself and mine is sitting in the garage with way to much money in it, but I did get addicted to that 380 miles to a tank I have been getting on the hwy in my 98 spyder. Well good luck, and hopefully someone can go into detail more on this issue with you. Anyquestion you have please pm me and I will help or get the answers for you the best I can. Later Justin

Old 04-01-2005, 11:59 AM
Default cai, lose header for turbo?

SOoooo can you tell me where i can get that CAI because i can't find one made for our model what so ever as far as the internet source goes. Another question for someone that knows this types of stuff. Does my header get replaced with the turbo? I'd like to turbo it if it get more horse power than a turbo header. I just don't to buy a huge turbo and blow my tranny, seeing is how i dont know how built my transmission is. Im' shootin' for 500hp or more is the goal. Hoping with the 2.4L i have an advantage. Any opinions? anyone?[:'(]

Old 04-01-2005, 04:01 PM

getting enough hits but nobody cares...[sm=smiley13.gif]

Old 04-01-2005, 04:19 PM

Just a question to you if your going for 500+ HP whyd you buy a Spyder? You know that with that much power you will have to build a cage for the thing because of tyhe frame flex.

Old 04-01-2005, 04:39 PM

alright i see what you mean, i wasnt very educated on mitsubishi at the time of purchase which was very dumb of me but at least help me dude cmon..

Old 04-01-2005, 04:47 PM

Hey man could you post a link or an exact place where i could find that Injen CAI, cuz i have looked everywhere and i cant find one, i have made a few posts about where i could find one and people have given links to an online store or something that doesnt have it or i just cant find it.....lol could be either one, that would be great thanks!

Old 04-01-2005, 05:18 PM

U cant find ne parts for the GS model of the Spyder model? I was reading ur post n U said U couldn't find ne parts or that they were rare for the model....I was wondering if ur talking about the regular GS model or the GS Spyder model? If your talkin about the Spyder model, then wouldn't it be the same if U juss use parts from a regular GS n put them into the spyder?

Old 04-01-2005, 06:31 PM

I belive my 97' mitsu eclipse is just a spyder but are all spyders basically the gs too. Hell i dont know but i have the 2.4L engine and i cant find any parts for it.

Old 04-01-2005, 06:34 PM

first of all 500HP is alot considering your motor only output 141 HP as is. It would take alot of money and you would have to replace the tranny along with all the half shafts and so on. the car has no fram it is unibody you might get away with leaving the top on and beefing some of the supports up but you would not be able to take the top off and gun it or you might twist the unibody unless you do some structual supports. one thing you have to consider is that 300-400hp is alot for our cars it is like a 500-600 hp v-8 because our cars are so lite. I have seen a 500hp eclipse but it takes about 15 grand worth of work and alot of tuning.

Quick Reply: trying to perform a spyder...