2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

HP gain

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 02:17 AM
Default RE: HP gain

Exactly.... So like I said... You have a GS, you are not going to get any noticable power from an intake or exhaust...

Old 05-22-2006, 02:56 AM

Yea, intakes really dont do much for auto so i hear, and exhaust on 4 cyl. are overated unless your willing to spend money, and wit that many miles...But its always ur choice

Old 05-22-2006, 12:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Evil1993Eagle

Garanteed if you go and get an bigger tb, upgraded cai and full exhaust you might get 10 hp if that . You'll probably wont really notice the gain.
Your garantee sucks, aem cia= 9whp on a 420a.

dyno sheet

Old 05-22-2006, 12:59 PM

ORIGINAL: willdue

Yea, intakes really dont do much for auto so i hear, and exhaust on 4 cyl. are overated unless your willing to spend money, and wit that many miles...But its always ur choice
Are your serious? The motors are the same, just different trannys... trannys have nothing to even do with power gains. To be honest the auto 420a is slower out of the box then the 5spd becuase it has a different ecu tune. My red line is 7200r's, and autos is 6800. The 420a a/t is capable of turning that may hp, mitsu put a rev limiter and a crapper tune so you cant destroy the tranny so easily.

ORGINIAL: ncyankeealva
Exactly.... So like I said... You have a GS, you are not going to get any noticable power from an intake or exhaust...
So like I sad, noticable is an opnionated word. If you can feel 8whp, that dosent mean that its not a noticable gain. On my car the mod that I noticed the biggest gain was from the throttle body. It got aweseom throttle response and greater low end power from it. It maybe only gave me 3-6hp to the crank, but the other benifits were noticable.

ORGINIAL: willdue
and exhaust on 4 cyl. are overated unless your willing to spend money
On my car I got a 2.5 Stainless steel custom cat back w/dc sport ss muffler for 350 installed. And your right larger exausts are 4 cyls. are pointless for performance, I dont know why everyone is doing it, it just dosent make sense. I guess their all into wasting their money.

If you cant prove what your talking about, then it would be best not to say it.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:08 PM

ORIGINAL: slow420a

ORIGINAL: Evil1993Eagle

Garanteed if you go and get an bigger tb, upgraded cai and full exhaust you might get 10 hp if that . You'll probably wont really notice the gain.
Your garantee sucks, aem cia= 9whp on a 420a.

dyno sheet

Well I guess not, b/c on 3 cars we tested at my school on a dyno they all lost hp with cai not cia. These cars were a mazda miata, toyta celica gt and dodge neon sxt.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:17 PM

since when do you ever loose hp by putting on CAI common sense...the more air the bigger the boom

Old 05-22-2006, 03:20 PM

Not really, depending where its located you could be pulling in warm air from the engine bay.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:40 PM

miata, short ram intake, 5whp

celica gt, aem cai, 6hp gain

neon sxt, cai, 3whp gain

BTW the neon sxy has an a855 motor which shares the same block as a 420a(eclipse gs motor), it just has a sohc head thats more restrictive.

I can go all day with these, and these are lower end gains. My buddys lightning gained 19whp from a cia, v6 acords get around 15whp. Your right how some times intakes suck in hot air, expecially short rams, but even in the case of the miata which was dynoed with a short ram still made a gain.

Old 05-23-2006, 12:17 AM

miata, short ram intake, 5whp

celica gt, aem cai, 6hp gain

neon sxt, cai, 3whp gain

BTW the neon sxy has an a855 motor which shares the same block as a 420a(eclipse gs motor), it just has a sohc head thats more restrictive.

I can go all day with these, and these are lower end gains. My buddys lightning gained 19whp from a cia, v6 acords get around 15whp. Your right how some times intakes suck in hot air, expecially short rams, but even in the case of the miata which was dynoed with a short ram still made a gain.
Well I guess it depends on the car and which intake sytem you choose because you've seen hp gains at the same time I have seen hp loses.

Old 05-24-2006, 01:51 PM

ORIGINAL: ncyankeealva

You have a GS, you are not going to get any noticable power from an intake or exhaust...
Noticabel is an opnionated word, so in your opnion an intake and an exaust (nearly 20hp) is not noticable. I dont know what you drive but 20hp is a fairly large gain, in the case of the 420a 4 tenths off the 1/4 mile(17.2-16.8). It may not sound like a big difference... to put this in perspective lets say your car runs a 15.0, and you lose 4 tenths of a second. That would put your 1/4 mile time at 14.60. Your old track runs at 15.00 et would be 92mph. At your new time of 14.60 your et would be 97mph. Both of those runs had identical r/t's of .5XX and a 60's of 2.3XX. So basically your saying 5mph is not a noticable difference. I am sure that if I used the difference between the 17.2 an the 16.8 the mph would be alot lower because the car is moving alot slower but to prove my point I only have track times lower then a 15.5. I would asume the difference in mph would be more towards 2-3mph... which would be the difference between standing still and walking. By the way if you have a dispute with the figures for the track runs I can pm you a link of both time slips.
a GS is not going to get 20whp from an intake and exhaust.

Quick Reply: HP gain