2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

HP gain

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 02:33 PM
Default RE: HP gain

You guys said earlier that you can lose power if the intake is in a bad spot and sucks in warmer air, well I was wondering with my injen intake, on my 4g63-t, (everyone knows where and how it sits on that motor) if that it sucks in more cold air or warm air?

Old 05-24-2006, 03:18 PM

ORIGINAL: nYOfas

You guys said earlier that you can lose power if the intake is in a bad spot and sucks in warmer air, well I was wondering with my injen intake, on my 4g63-t, (everyone knows where and how it sits on that motor) if that it sucks in more cold air or warm air?
you will not lose power from sucking in warm air. just having an intake on that is less restrictive than stock will give you a few ponyies, whether you are sucking warm or cold air.

Old 05-24-2006, 03:19 PM

ORIGINAL: slow420a

miata, short ram intake, 5whp

celica gt, aem cai, 6hp gain

neon sxt, cai, 3whp gain

BTW the neon sxy has an a855 motor which shares the same block as a 420a(eclipse gs motor), it just has a sohc head thats more restrictive.

I can go all day with these, and these are lower end gains. My buddys lightning gained 19whp from a cia, v6 acords get around 15whp. Your right how some times intakes suck in hot air, expecially short rams, but even in the case of the miata which was dynoed with a short ram still made a gain.
lightning gaining 19whp? i can see that happening since it is a supercharged truck. i don't see that happening on a N/A 4cyl.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:58 PM

ORIGINAL: eclipsed4u

you will not lose power from sucking in warm air. just having an intake on that is less restrictive than stock will give you a few ponyies, whether you are sucking warm or cold air.

Sucking in warm air plays a big part in performance. The idea is to pull in the coldest air possible creating more hp b/c the air is more dense. Thats what an intercooler does, cools the incoming air increasing hp.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:52 AM

ORIGINAL: Evil1993Eagle

ORIGINAL: eclipsed4u

Sucking in warm air plays a big part in performance. The idea is to pull in the coldest air possible creating more hp b/c the air is more dense. Thats what an intercooler does, cools the incoming air increasing hp.
I know what the idea is. The air in the engine bay is not hot enough to make you lose power from installing a warm air intake. I have seen dyno after dyno, CAI and WAI, both showing HP increases(with the WAI showing less of an increase). However, I have NEVER seen a dyno showing that a WAI made a car lose power. Just the fact that you are replacing the very restrictive stock intake will give you a few HP just because more air can get into the combustion chambers.

Old 05-25-2006, 01:33 PM

If you notice in one of evil93eagel's posts he mentioned that on the dyno that they did they also added exausts... Now non of the cars that were dynoed were F/I, they were all N/A. My guess is that they disconnected the air box and cayt, to bypass the rest of the exaust and called it an intake and exaust. Now removing the air box is basically like getting an intake in the respect that it removes a restrictive paper filter, but the intake hose is still restrictive. The ripple in the bends cause turbulence in the air, thus making friction, thus making heat. ALSO, N/A motors lose HP from a free flowing exaust... well a exaust too big. N/A motors need back pressure to make hp, where with turbo cars removing the exaust will creat hp by letting the turbo spool up faster. So by just removing a large piece of the exaust and removing back pressure your actually killing N/A hp. That may explain why you saw a loss in numbers... expceially in tq.

Old 05-25-2006, 01:41 PM

ORIGINAL: slow420a

If you notice in one of evil93eagel's posts he mentioned that on the dyno that they did they also added exausts... Now non of the cars that were dynoed were F/I, they were all N/A. My guess is that they disconnected the air box and cayt, to bypass the rest of the exaust and called it an intake and exaust. Now removing the air box is basically like getting an intake in the respect that it removes a restrictive paper filter, but the intake hose is still restrictive. The ripple in the bends cause turbulence in the air, thus making friction, thus making heat. ALSO, N/A motors lose HP from a free flowing exaust... well a exaust too big. N/A motors need back pressure to make hp, where with turbo cars removing the exaust will creat hp by letting the turbo spool up faster. So by just removing a large piece of the exaust and removing back pressure your actually killing N/A hp. That may explain why you saw a loss in numbers... expceially in tq.
if thats the case, then yeah, I can see why they lost HP on that dyno. I don't see why it would be blamed on the intake though. unless somebody didn't know that n/a cars need backpressure.

Old 05-25-2006, 01:54 PM

Thats my guess, even though removing the air box isant as good as getting an intake their should still have been a gain. So either they dyno was done wrong or the truth is skewed.