2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

I am confused about what engine...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 01:14 AM
Red face I am confused about what engine...

I know, search it first, I did. Everything says that my 1996 Eclipse GS has a 420A engine in it... I also read that the sticker inside the engine bay should say what it is... it says its a 4G63 engine. I also searched online for pics to see how it is set up since I read that the engines are set up different. What I noticed was the engine mount on the 4G63 looks like it is on the right side, which is how my engine is set up (I bought it totally stripped so there's no engine to tell). The battery looks like it is on the left side and the radiator connects in the middle, not sure if that helps but the 420A and 4G63 set ups looked different. SO I just wanted to make sure I can actually put a 4G63 engine in my car or do I really need a 420A engine. I can get pics tomorrow. Thanks for your help as I am new to Mitsubishi's.

By the way I am new on here. I am Ashley. I just bought a 96 Eclipse GS for $400. It has no engine, no bumpers, lights, etc. The car was basically stripped except the interior which was painted pink and black... I just finished sanding the spray paint off today and am hoping to primer it all (we took ALL the interior pieces out) and have it sanded again and painted this weekend. I am gonna go platnium white paint with carbon fiber hood, wing, splitter and maybe black rims. Then I am hoping to put some charcoal graphics on with some pink marble stars on top. Sounds weird I know but it should look nice. My husband and I paint cars. I am REALLY excited to learn about my eclipse since I have always liked them.

Last edited by proudnavyaowife; 09-18-2009 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Extra info
Old 09-18-2009, 01:28 AM

are you 100% sure its a GS?
I think the engine bays for the gs, gsx, and gs-t are the same.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:42 AM

I am almost 100% sure, the title says GS, the car says GS and we checked the sticker (which was REALLY faded). I was hoping the decription would be a dead give away. My friend has a GSX and had no idea and I want to be sure before I buy an engine lol. Since its not driveable and I live in a TINY town theres not really any shops I can drag it to and ask. I would be SO happy if I can put a 4g63 turbo engine in it. Thanks for your help and time

Old 09-18-2009, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by importorigins
are you 100% sure its a GS?
I think the engine bays for the gs, gsx, and gs-t are the same.
please dont post stuff like this if you dont know what your talking about...thank you.

the 420A engine bay and 4g63 engine bay are completely different. The mounting points are different. If the car is a GS which is appears to be, then you need to buy a 420a engine. Simple as that. Trying to drop in a 4g63 is not a direct bolt on and requires fabrication to do.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by TheEngineer
please dont post stuff like this if you dont know what your talking about...thank you.
Sorry Mr. Fancy Pants. That is why I said I think and was not 100% sure.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by TheEngineer

the 420A engine bay and 4g63 engine bay are completely different. The mounting points are different. If the car is a GS which is appears to be, then you need to buy a 420a engine. Simple as that. Trying to drop in a 4g63 is not a direct bolt on and requires fabrication to do.

Ahh that sucks. Do you happen to know where the mounts are just to make sure whichever one it is? I am so confused because the sticker does say 4G63, does that mean the sticker is just bs? Thank you for your help, I am also gonna go look and see if I can find out. Maybe I can find someone with the same car and see as well. I am not sure if this helps know for sure but it looks like the tranny is on the passenger side and the engine looks like it sits on the driver side. Does that sound right?

Last edited by proudnavyaowife; 09-18-2009 at 01:41 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-18-2009, 03:06 PM

Ok sorry, my last stupid question... I looked up the vin and on all the sites it says its GS-T with a 2.0L I4 MPI engine (whatever that means), but like I said the sticker says GS but the engine set up looks like the GST engine set up (to me) so should I believe the vin which would mean I have a 4g63 engine like the sticker says right?! Sorry I know its confusing, I have spent the last 2 days combing the internet trying to figure this out before I spend alot of money on something that wont work. Thanks again!!!!

Old 09-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Red face

Ok nevermind, thanks for the help. Its a GS-T. We looked at the carfax, then I went back out there and checked the back sticker again, the T was scratched off. It has a turbo gauge pod (according to my friend and thats what it looks like on the bottom left side of the gauges) and has the back windshield wiper, etc... all the things that say a GS-T is defined by. Now I am super happy and ready to start tearing the rest of the stuff out of my car! Have an awesome weekend!!

Old 09-18-2009, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Nice find for $400, post some pics.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

wow, good deal then. Good luck

Quick Reply: I am confused about what engine...