2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

I changed the cams, replaced the timing belt, and now it wont start???

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 10:10 PM
Default I changed the cams, replaced the timing belt, and now it wont start???

Ok, some of you may have read my earlier posts on some of my progress on my car, such as the replacement clutch, head gasket, timing belt, and Cams. Here's the problem, after changing everything out the car will turn over but will not start. Before I changed anything the car ran great, and I never had a problem starting it. I am 99% sure it is timing related, however I am wondering if there is a difference in Cam size for the 90-92 vs 93-94 4G63 engine. The problem is I'm not sure what year the engine is exactly, the guy before me had put a 6bolt swap in it and I have not had much luck contacting him lately. I do know I set the timing for a 90-92 but after looking at the Haynes manual it shows that the 93-94 years had almost a 90 degree timing difference, enough not to let the car start! So anyway my plan is to set the timing tomorrow morning to the 93-94 year and see if it makes a difference, and if it dooesn't the only thing I can think next would be the cams might be causing the problem and I will put the old ones in and see if it changes anything.

For the record, I do have spark, I do have compression, and I do have fuel, so the problem lies somewhere simple.

If you have any ideas as to other possible causes please share them, and again if you know if there may be a compatibilty issue with the cams in th engine year let me know. The cams I bought are 272 Brian Crower Cams.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:19 PM
Default RE: I changed the cams, replaced the timing belt, and now it wont start???

Ok I just found this in my cams, so there is no problem with the cams not being compatible.
http://www.briancrower.com/makes/mitsubishi/4g63.shtml

And also if you read the paragraph on that page, it says that the 4G63 engine years 90-92 are 6bolts, and the 93-94 are a 7bolts. Well, I am now unsure if the timing is set incorrectly, so I'm just stumped right now. I am going to play with the timing a little bit and see if anything different happens, but again please shoot me with some ideas as to what could be the culprit in this situation. Thanks.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: I changed the cams, replaced the timing belt, and now it wont start???

Make sure you have an injector pulse when you crank it.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:11 PM

We are getting fuel, spark, and pressure, but its just not wanting to turn over. At this point I have removed the new 272 cams thinking they may be too big (not allowing the lifters to bleed down), so the old cams are in the car and its still turning over and backfiring...but not starting. This is really pissing me off. It seems like the new or old cams haven't made a difference in how it starts so I am running out of ideas.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

In the first post you said it cranks but wont start and now you said it wont turn over? Is the cps installed 180* b/c that will cause some crazy things.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:28 PM

I'm sorry I stated that wrong, It is turning over, and is wanting to start but won't. And the CPS is not out 180*. Any other suggestions?

Old 12-01-2007, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Make sure the firing order is right and check to see if the injectors are firing.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:02 PM

Ok, I just used my DSM Link to relay the error codes the car is giving and the DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) I'm getting is 1300 - Ignition Timing Adjustment Circut Malfunction. Ummm.... bad crank sensor possibly? I hooked up a timing light and it seems to be firing intermintently, so I am thinking something is faulty.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:04 PM

This sucks so much, because the car ran great before all this happened, I guess I'm just thinking the coincidence is very unlikely, but possible I guess.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:18 PM

i feel ya, seems like something that works perfectly ALWAYS breaks or malfuctions when you take it off

Quick Reply: I changed the cams, replaced the timing belt, and now it wont start???