2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

i did the compression test but!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 10:09 PM
Default i did the compression test but!!!!!!!!

ok for thos of you know have help or followed my problems with this 95 eclipse rs 5 spd i just finshed the compression test and passed the highest number was like 200 or 205(i forget it now damn umm) and the lowest number was 185 it was about 10% from the highest.so i dont know what was going on. on start up the car runs rich and when it warms up it puts out white smoke still running rich and theres not smell of oil or coolent also the plugs are white showing lean and wen you rev the engine it hang up before deaccerating ifeel like a idiot i have never had a car beat me like thisandit sucks what i need to do so
show the car whos daddy with as pipe bomb lol(just playing)i am going to run a vaccum test tomarrow also i had the ecu scan at autozone and it showed nothing plz help or shed insite. if this were a mustang i could tell you whats wrong and how to fix it and the size of the bolts loland thank you

Old 01-31-2007, 10:13 PM
Default RE: i did the compression test but!!!!!!!!

Man, maybe you can help ME out then.
My pops has a 2001 GT.
His high speed muffler bearing went out.
You would'nt happen to know the bolts size on it, would you.
I'm gonna change it this weekend and just wanna know ahead of time.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:22 PM

umm i think its a 1/2 but not sure HEY IM NOT A DUMBASS OK ive use that trick before if you think im that dumb you should have just said hey what type of blinker fulid dose my dad car take i think that one is better but come on man give me a brake plz my head already hurts from this car but you would happen to know what wrong with my car would you???? or any ideas

Old 01-31-2007, 10:41 PM
Banned

I think maybe your head gasket might have a little imperfection leaking coolant into the combustion chamber.

The reason being, Mitsubishi only clapmed the stock 420a motors head gasket with 50lb of force... stupid i know. So naturally they blow all the time.

That is my guess.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:42 PM

ORIGINAL: xsoldier06

umm i think its a 1/2 but not sure HEY IM NOT A DUMBASS OK ive use that trick before if you think im that dumb you should have just said hey what type of blinker fulid dose my dad car take i think that one is better but come on man give me a brake plz my head already hurts from this car but you would happen to know what wrong with my car would you???? or any ideas
hahahaha
Atleast you caught it.
I was'nt trying to pick on you, I just needed some entertainment.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:57 PM

lol man its been a really long day and im pery the head gasket on messed up on the car i was thinking about and i think its a unmetered air leak or a leaking injector but because it passed the compression test in all aspects and the fact that when you rev the car it slowly revs down so i dont know

Old 01-31-2007, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

well around 200 is kinda a bit high so that means you have a little carbon buildup in there, which is easily explained since you say its running rich. that will cause alot of buildup. So there is a rich problem here, and that is exactly what the white smoke is from.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:30 AM

now what about the rpm thing

Old 02-01-2007, 03:34 AM

Things that make you go HUMM!!!

Sounds like maybe good news from the compression check. One, or a combination of all three of these things are a sign of a blown head gasket.
1.Water in exhaust (white smoke) usually a significant amount of white smoke Exhaust should have anantifreeze odor at the tailpipe
2. Overheating (exhaust being literally blown into the cooling system) Checked by using an Exhaust Gas Analyser. Openradiator cap andusing the analyser "sniff" the radiator.exhaust gasses in the coolant...is abig bummer...
3. Water in the oil. (oil looking milky white on the dipstick)

So just how much white smoke are we talking about? I posted in another area that you may have water in the fuel. So that would be the next thing I would try and ascertain.

Why do you say that the car is running rich? Is it a smell, have you got access to a exhaust analizer? If your running rich your plugs would not be white, they would be black. If they are wet black you have gas fouled or oil fouling occuring. If they are adry sooty black you have to rich a air/fuel mixture.Generally if an engine is running rich at idle, and running good off idle, the center electode will be black and and rest of the plug should look greyish brown. If your running ok at idle, but rich off idle it will be just the opposite, the center electrode will be black and the rest of the plug should be a greyish brown. Running lean will make the plug white. Of course the hope is that when you pull a plug it has an overall light greyish browncast to it. Depending on the look of the plug, can help to eliminate where a problem exists.

You stated that your plugs are white so I will assume your running lean. That can be caused by several different issues.
1. You have a vacum leak somewhere in the system.
2. You have a gummed up Injector/Injectors that are not flowing the right amount of fuel
3. You may have to much advance on your ignition timing.

So lets start by hooking a vacuum tester to the engine.(and agood quality tach if you haveone)Make sure you have manifold vacuum and not ported. Warm the engine to operating temp. Vacuum at sea level should be around 18 to 22 inches. (checkmanufactures specs...this is an estimate)-1 inch for each 1000 feet above sea level.Up here in the high rockies its usually between 12 to 16 inches. Two important things to look for. Steady vacuum, and somewhere in that range. If you have low vacuum. Check for leaks in the system, (hoses, manifold, brake booster, ect.) and also check your timing.

If vacuum is steady and within specs. Still check the timing.

If that is good. Next step is the fuel delivery system. Since you have no trouble codes, lets assume your O2 sensor is working. I would look at having the injectors cleaned. (how many miles are on the vehicle? do you know if this has every been done to this vehicle.?)

Good Luck

Old 02-01-2007, 10:53 PM

ya know, I remember a story in SCC, about colmans rally se-r spec v. He had coolant leaking into the cyls. through the head gasket. But only at high rpms, and hard driving. You may be experiencing the same thing. I am going to go with Sebba, and say you havea bad head gasket. Which would explain alot. See, as boost builds, its making it into the motor, but being blown out the headgasket. Which is why its smoking white under start up. There is no pressure from the turbo at that point, and coolant is leaking into the cyls. Also, as for your spark plugs being white, this could be a lean condition, or it could be the coolant baking the electrode. The only way to know is to either do a leakdown test, or save the hassle of that, and pull the head, and replace the gasket. I would make sure that you had the head decked once you pulled it. Alot of times, once you have a blown headgasket, when you pull the head, or from just the typical heat of the motor the head will warp slightly. While it may not be much, it could lead to more blown head gaskets down the road.
Then again, you could just skip that part, and swap the head gasket with a high quality one from someone like HKS, or Cometic. I perosonally like the Cometic gasket, its pretty stout, and made out of copper. so its less likely to break. Also, Copper gaskets get smashed, and therefore hold a tighter seal.
Make sure when you replace the head-gasket you put a new timing belt on it, or your just asking for more trouble
good luck, and let us know how it goes

Quick Reply: i did the compression test but!!!!!!!!