2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

i found a 2gen GST i want to buy...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Default i found a 2gen GST i want to buy...

well, i work at this dealership at my hometown, and there is a 2gen eclipse sitting in the back lot. I recently looked around it, and
niticed the doors were unlocked, so i checked the interior and engine. It apperars to be the 4g63 turbo block, w/ 5 speed,
but its missing the air filter box, plug wires, injectors,intercooler/piping, bov..etc and the inside, it has sitting water in the spare tire
area, missing stereo, speakers, and the interior panels are taken apart, but are still in there.

Im writing a paper on cars, and i was wondering about this car.

it will obviosly need some work, but im willing to put the work/money in it... my main concern is about the price of it..

im not sure if the people at the dealership know its value, and im not sure how much to offer them,
but i want to pay as low as possible... (like $100 low) i also have acces to tools, lift, etc at my friends shop, so "extreme repairs" are not a problem as well.

about the paper: recently i was talkng to my mom about used cars. I tried to expain to her the idea behind buying an older car
for a litte money and restoring./fixing it up. I told her how some used cars would be much better with a little money invested
than a new 15k car (think this eclipse fixed up vs a new huindai sonata) I think alot of people realy dont have a clue about
value of ertain cars, and waste their money as a result. well, gotta go now...(im still no done with this)

Old 03-28-2006, 03:40 PM
Default RE: i found a 2gen GST i want to buy...

So are you writing the paper to convince your mom to let you buy an older car? if you are, I agree with you a 150%. $100 might be pushing it, considering body damage and stuff. But I am not sure.

Old 03-28-2006, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

make sure you know what kinda shape the car is in too. If its been sitting then there may be alot of rust on the car and in the engine bay. Make sure you check around so you know what you get yourself into before you buy it.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:08 PM

compression test, if its gutted like that chances are it got the "walk"... (crank walk= eclipse cancer)

Old 03-28-2006, 07:27 PM

Yeah that's true. U should try and get it for no more than maybe 1K........anything more than that isn't worth it cause ur going to need some serious money to get it running and looking stock.

Old 03-29-2006, 04:56 AM

well, yeah, i did hear about the crankwalk, but its no prob for me, i have a friend who owns a shop, and i need an engine to rebuild for
my advanced auto class anyway...

Here's also a little story on the dealership: At Champaign- Urbana, there is a delership which i clean afterhours, and it pays pretty well
($400 a mo. 2 hours a day worth of work, 6 days a week, 8pm to 10.... pretty good high school job huh?)

The thing is, this dealership is going to re locate to a bigger facility soon, and i relay want this car, so im going to go there with my friend later, and ask about "taking the junk off their hands, im going to mention that it will be used as a "test subject" (LOL)
at my highschool, and how they wil just prolly junk the car any way... baisicaly (russian saying) "hang a bunch of ramen on their ears"

I realy like these cars, im also a "as long as it came from Japan" guy...lol
the eclipse almst feels like my car already, scince i work at night, and the car is unlocked, i sit in it like every day... Iam 15 so I do stupid **** like that....

also, if your under 18, can you legaly buy a car, and what about registration etc (im gona risk it with insurance for now...until i get licence in 4 months) i dont know to much about laws, bu i know my way around an engine pretty well, ive been lerning scince i was
like 6, and absolutely love cars...

well, what about $350 for a car that doesent run? think they will "buy it" ? i hope so....

edit: today i looked at the car agian, and it seems like it might be a GSX model.. it was dark, but it looked like there was a "pumpkin"
and driveshafts there... dunno, will check again with flashlight tomorrow..

Old 03-29-2006, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

Well first things first. Obviously the car isn't running. If you have access to a shop and whatnot then GREAT. You can buy the car get title in hand and not register it till later when it IS running. Just have to keep it garaged at east in my area it has to be covered/garaged unless it's tagged and inspected.

As previously stated it MAY be there due to crankwalk. Or other problems. That will likely require a full engine rebuild including crack/leak checks and honing as well as a whole bunch of other stuff. gain time and $ are the keys. Also the trans on the early moel GSX's tend to have problems so that will be another area you'll definately want to check thoroughly after you get the engine running.

Now if you DO get it and rebuild the engine and the trans checks out fine you'll likely have a car as reliable and good as any other car out there. Just look all over for rust and find the drain plug in the trunk. Get that water emptied and dry it all up. Make sure there is no water damage elsewhere. If there is water in the trunk and all the glass is rolled up and good then it MAY have been a flood victim.

Old 03-29-2006, 07:34 AM

well, i think that probably there was just rainwater that got inside... man, i SO want this thing, no matter what i just must have it!!!

do you guys think they will sell it thorugh, because of all the reasons i listed? because selling a car to a 15 y.o.= bad idea in most adults minds, lol..

Old 03-29-2006, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

i think they would sell it because its probably worthless to them right now. Its just a broken car sitting around. But I must stress to check the engine bay for rust. My 95 had very very very bad rust in the engine bay and i dont care what type of shop you have availible, you dont want a car that has bad rust. Check around. The major problem with mine is rust near the engine mount. Very bad!!. If it has anything like this then you dont even want to work on this car.

Old 03-29-2006, 02:39 PM

ok, ill bring a flashlight today to check stuff out fully, but the biggest rust area im concerned with is the spare tire area... im going to try to drain that today. man, whats funny is they dont even know im snooping around this car... i hope they dont mind, but its not like im breaking anything right?

also, i think the reason it's gutted is because the previous owner might have modded it, and then took everything off when he exchanged his ride for a diff one... just my "preferred" theory.. im going next friday to see if i can actualy by it for $200...

Quick Reply: i found a 2gen GST i want to buy...