2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

I got toasted by a sunfire!!! Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 11:31 AM
Default I got toasted by a sunfire!!! Help!!!

okay, this is starting to become a problem. I bought my car, a 98 gst w/ 67,000miles for $8500 and its still under warranty for another month. I recently found out that the turbo was upgraded to a EVO 16G and has a boost controller, but no boost gauge. According from what I read on here, throwing on a bigger turbo with no boost gauge is not good. I ordered a boost gauge but it hasnt shown up yet. Since I got the car, when I get on it, once the boost hits max it stops pulling. I wasnt really racing, but my buddy in his sunfire with a body kit and no mods toasted me, came flying up my ***, I saw him coming up fast so I floored it, but he walked right by at about 85 and kept pulling, and I couldn't even get my car to 90. I didnt think that was a good thing so I stopped doing that. I figured it just needed to be tuned, I was planning on getting a safcII and a wideband, but its going to be alittle while making insurance and car payments. NOW, every morning when I start it up there is a ticking sound that seems to get louder every day, its loudest near where the intake mainifold meets the motor. When I first start it up, it blows alot of white smoke, and when its wet out and I just start the car, the inside of the tip of the muffler turns white. After driving, muffler turns back to black, along with the the backside of my car, its not really too bad, but if you touch anywhere , it will leave black on your fingers. At idle, the oil pressure is pretty low, but seems to stay in the operating range when driving. After the motor has been running, the ticking goes away, but it still smokes some. The temp gauge is always 3/4 to the top, not sure if thats normal or not. I also get pretty ****ty gas mileage too. Also, the dealer sold me the car w/o the horn working, not sure if that is legal or not, they passed it on inspection so maybe I could get a refund?? What do you guys think? What would you do?

Old 05-22-2006, 12:19 PM
Default RE: I got toasted by a sunfire!!! Help!!!

Well the low oil pressure and ticking is probally becuase your oil is low. When was the last time your changed it? No its not good for you motor temp to be that high but your temp gauge may be broken. What I am starting to think is though that your smoke problem, high temp, and low oil pressure may all be connected. White smoke indicates a few things, one is burning coolent or running lean. Then again it could just be becuase its cold out. I think it may be your head gasket. But before you freek out and start looking at prices to get it replaced it may not be. First get a manual for the car, then do a compression check, then check your coolent for oil. I dont mean to scare you, the smoke could be just from normal leeky valve seals, the temp gauge could be broke... the tick and oil pressure I am going to say are from the lack of oil.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:45 PM

it had a oil change alittle over 1000 miles ago, but I will check that. Its going into the dealers tomarrow. Anything else I should ask him to do since its free? what should the compression be?

Old 05-22-2006, 01:44 PM

for the 4g63
standard per cyl, 178psi
service limit, 139psi
difference between cyls, no more then 14psi

Old 05-22-2006, 02:32 PM

so If the cylinders arent at least 139psi and theres more than 14 psi difference, I need new piston rings right? Do you think my car just needs to be tuned if the compression is fine? or it probaly needs to be tuned anyway?

Old 05-22-2006, 03:03 PM

4g63's are know for "ticking". Your lifters are dirty, go to vfaq.com they show you how to clean them. Or you can just repace them w/ 3gen revised lifters.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:07 PM

If your running under 15psi then you dont need to be tuned, if your compression test comes out 170psi, 175psi, 156psi, 168psi, then you have a blown ring land in cyl 3, if all of the cyls come out under 160psi, then you have some ring seal problems, if two cyl's are lower then others fo sample, 170,170, 160,160 or 170,160,160,170, it could be a head gasket. if any cyl's are around 139(10psi+/-) i would deff recomend a rebuild.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:18 PM

Do a cylinder leak test, you can check if your getting any blow by.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:46 PM

thank you guys, all this information is going to help alot. I have another question. would any of these problems effect the turbo, for example, when im driving and im not going WOT maybe like 75%, once my turbo is at full boost my car stops accelerating immediatly. Its kinda like the clutch slipping but that doesn't seem right because its only got 1500miles on it, tops. I really thought it just needed to be tuned for the bigger turbo. Now I dont know what to think...

Old 05-22-2006, 05:03 PM

My boost gauge came in the mail today, going to get it installed tomarrow. for reference, whats a safe boost and a max boost I should be running with a 16g turbo with no fuel system upgrades?

Quick Reply: I got toasted by a sunfire!!! Help!!!