2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 04:25 AM
Default idle issues

hey guys I'm having some issues over here. Not all the time, but the majority of it, my car idles like $#!T. The RPMs will start to dip and threaten to stall. Sometimes it even does. I've replaced the plugs, i have magnecor wires, and I just replaced the IAC today. Could I have the SAFC tuned too lean at idle? or does someone think its something else? Thanks for any and all help.

Old 07-05-2006, 07:07 AM
Banned
Default RE: idle issues

are you venting a bov?

Old 07-05-2006, 10:37 AM

unplug your battery for 12-24 hrs if you could....give the computer time to reset itself... and if that doesnt work.. check for a vacuum leak...

Old 07-05-2006, 11:23 AM

ORIGINAL: tidus10

unplug your battery for 12-24 hrs if you could....give the computer time to reset itself... and if that doesnt work.. check for a vacuum leak...
it onlytakes a few minutes to resett the battery Tidus

Old 07-05-2006, 04:29 PM

Thanks for all your help guys. I tried resetting the battery but it hasn't helped. Sebba, I am venting the bov but I have a Gm maf in a blow through set up so that shouldn't make a difference. On top of the idle problem, when I'm boosting at WOT, it usually feels like its hitting a wall and it stops building boost and speed unless i let up on the throttle. Today, however, it pulled all the way to redline throughout every gear. Was there a blockage that worked itself loose or is there something else that it could be? Thank you all soo much for your help.

Old 07-05-2006, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

well you shouldnt even be tuning your idle with the safc. And i dont really se that being the problem either. Is the thing up high like a hard jerk (fuel cut, if you know what i mean by that). Could be your tune for the WOT problem. But for the idle make sure your not tuning the low thottle rpms (zero them out), i dont think that will fix it, but depending on your tune it might. Check around for a vacuum leak as well. What i really think could be causing all of this though is a leak. Maybe the intercooler piping or intake piping came loose. I would definetly at least start there.

Old 07-06-2006, 01:41 AM

Thanks for your input my man. I had to tune the low throttle because it was running too rich. I couldn't even drive it because it was so rich. I really do need to check the vacuum lines, but the intercooler piping and intake tube are tight with no leaks. I'll try to richen the idle set a little bit as well as the low throttle and I'll let you know. Thanks again for your help.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

you should never have any reason to tune the low throttle because there isnt even a constant a/f ratio that can be read at it.

Old 07-06-2006, 03:31 PM

ORIGINAL: oh_what_up

Thanks for all your help guys. I tried resetting the battery but it hasn't helped. Sebba, I am venting the bov but I have a Gm maf in a blow through set up so that shouldn't make a difference. On top of the idle problem, when I'm boosting at WOT, it usually feels like its hitting a wall and it stops building boost and speed unless i let up on the throttle. Today, however, it pulled all the way to redline throughout every gear. Was there a blockage that worked itself loose or is there something else that it could be? Thank you all soo much for your help.

those are the same exact problems with my 92 gsx.........the EXACT same problems. i turned the idle up and even though it goes up and down, it doesnt go down far enough to cause it to stall.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

If it's going up and down like it can't find a good spot to stay at then it's likely the IAC motor.

Quick Reply: idle issues