2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Ignition Wires

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 10:19 PM
Default Ignition Wires

I have a 2000 Eclipse GT V6, and I was wondering if you guys knew what were the best ignition wires to get?

Old 04-18-2005, 10:24 PM
Default RE: Ignition Wires

i like magnecor. ngks are good too. dont get msd.

Old 04-19-2005, 03:12 PM

just curious what about nology are their claims really true about gaining 10hp, they are like 150$ for a set of them i highly doubt thats true......just thought i would ask if anyone has had experience with them.

Old 04-19-2005, 07:19 PM

no wire will give you 10hp. at best they will make your car drive smoother. you may not even notice a difference at all. wires are just good to get before increasing boost as the more power you are going to make the more spark you are going to need. same way a fuel pump/injectors give you more fuel.

Old 04-20-2005, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

The NOLOGY wires if I'm not mistaken (Correct me if I AM wrong though please) essentially contain a capacitor in the wire that builds the charge and releases it all at once at the peak voltage unlike regular wires that essentially just leak the charge to the plug. Imagine it like this you have a faucet. You turn it on to get a certain amount of water to do something. And you keep turning the water on and off getting a stream. That's a regular wire. NOLOGY wires put a bucket in the path of the water to collect it to the full point then dump the whole kit and kaboodle in one big splash. Make sense?

Old 04-20-2005, 12:44 AM

what you say is for the most part true, but the fact is all that is mostly hype. people read stuff like that and think "wow they must be good" and go out and spend twice as much as they need to. honda guys who arent fast at all seem to love buying nology wires jus to say they have em but i have NEVER seen any fast eclipses with them. the thing is that you just dont need that, any aftermarket wire like magnecor or ngk ($70 vs the $160 nology's) will give you more spark than you'll ever need, and when you do need more it'l be your ignition thats lacking in performance, not the wires.

Old 04-20-2005, 02:03 AM

thats exactly what i thought i analyzed it the same way just wanted second opinion.....thanks guys

Old 04-20-2005, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Oh I wasn't saying they're any better. I was only giving a general description of how they work (Or trying to at least). Quite frankly I don't think the amount of spark really matters all that much all it takes is for the feul to commence cumbustion as long as I have enough to cause that then who needs any more? Granted I believe it's proven that bigger wires DO give a bit of a gain, the whole capacitor thing is just overrated. Get a good set of 10.5mm and you should be straight. (Though I'll NEVER have to replace wires myself on my Sentra LOL I have a completely different ignition system and my eclipse is down for the count for the time being see my other thread for info on THAT one )

Old 04-20-2005, 12:22 PM

there are many factors to the spark thing. the more spark the hotter the burn. now as for the dont get msd comment i highly dissagree. I got msd superconductor wires and they notonly deliver alot of spark but the resistance to emi is one of the lowest on the market. in otherworks the spark trveling in the wire dose no get interupted or lowered compaired to stock or other name brand wires.

for more on the wires go to. http://www.msdignition.com/pdf_catal...plug_wires.pdf
like i said i have these wires alon with a msd coil and its better than any other wire i have found.

Old 04-20-2005, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Good call Get I had completely forgotten about the resistance part of the wire. And the hotter burn is also the goal of the nology wires to make a more complete burn of the feul. So wires will play a big part in teh efficiency of your engine and give you a bit of a power gain. You just have to research the pro's and con's of each set and see what will benefit your engine the most.

Quick Reply: Ignition Wires