2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

installing FAL fans.. ?wiring?need help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 02:15 PM
Default installing FAL fans.. ?wiring?need help please

i just got done piecing a bunch of stuff back together in my car. the manifold is supposed to come in about an hour or so. after that it should take an hour or so to throw all of the nice new stuff on. but, i am wondering how should i go about hooking up my new fans to my car? this is the last thing that's gonna go in... but i don't want to be stuck at the end of the day not knowing how best to hook up my fans. Here is a picture of what they look like outside of the car in their box. and if you look close you can see how the wiring is run, and what the end connectors look like. (keep in mind 2 are cutoff... there are 4 connections. =)... i have a 1998 eclipse gst. i wondering if there is a way to wire them into the plugs from my stock fans? or is there a better way to do it? and how? please help guys. i am SOOOO excited for my project to be done (for now)-- in a month i am gonna replace the clutch.. it is on backorder from fidanza for another week or so and i have the new fork, ball, and a very nice flywheel.. =)... but as soon as i am done i will make a new thread, pictures and a list of mods. =)

PICTURE

Old 05-13-2008, 02:16 PM
Default RE: installing FAL fans.. ?wiring?need help please

there are 2 wires coming off each fan... and the stock number is 4 off each fan... so therein lies my dilemma. i dunno what colors mean what either?

Old 05-14-2008, 04:35 AM

well, i googled it for about an hour and figured out the info. if anyone cares for the info and didnt answer cuz they didnt know. let me know. i got a little writeup...

Old 05-14-2008, 09:03 AM

yea i would like to know. im guessing the 4 wires in the original harness were to work the 2 fans at different times?

Old 05-14-2008, 05:11 PM

i will be getting new fans as well i melted one of the stock ones any chance you could pm me the info? that would be great i may be getting some new fans. do they work well? any problems?

Old 05-21-2008, 10:14 PM

Good choice in fans. I have that same FAL in black. Sorry I haven';t been on in awhile I could have saved you the headache of searching for the wiring... make sure you use a relay for both fans. You will burn out the stock wires. The fans flow 1700 cfm and draw a lot of current.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:39 AM

well, i have been waiting for the site to get back up and running going crazy. lol.. i was wondering what kinda relay i should use? actually to be honest, i want a manual switch on the fans, because my car run so goddamn cold with the koyo radiator in it. if i cruise the freeway at night(55-65*), i am atlike 1/3 my temp guage. and during the day (75-85*) it is right under the middle. but i will need them for when i get stuck in traffic. i figure, i would like to run both of them on a switch, because that enables me to also use them both for temp fans rather than using one for the a/c... since i ripped it out. i will post up link to the install as soon as i find. it. it is rather easy actually. my car runs awesome. i can't wait til i am done and can show pictures and dyno graphs. yaya.

so what kinda resistors/relay should i use on them? i am gonna install them today.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:31 PM

just pick up a couple of 35-40 amp relays from autozone. Wire it up the same way as the fuel pump rewire (vfaq.com if you don't know what I'm talking about) Basically, the stock fan harness will trigger the relay and the battery will power the fans. Since you don't have a/c you can just wire the fans to one relay. Forget about the a/c fan harness, just worry about the radiator fan relay. That way the computer will turn on both fans instead of just one. If you want I can take pictures of my install and post them for you to help you out. I wouldn't recommend the switch though. I had mine on a switch before I figured out how to hard wire it and sometimes I would catch it creeping towards red. you need to be really careful. Personally I would just let the computer handle turning the fans on and off. That way you wouldn't have to worry about it and potentially damage something. Also, I'm sorry I wasn't on earlier to help you out. I've been at work since 0400 this morning and just got back an hour ago.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:59 AM

the pics I took are too big, but hopefully this write up will help you anyway. I used 12 or 14 gauge wire for all. Wire both fans together... positive to positive, negative to negative. Solder a single wire to each of the pairs (1 wire for the two positives.. 1 wire for the two negatives), and solder the two white wires from the stock fan harness together. The blue and black wires will no longer be used. Those white wires will be connected to terminal 86 on the relay. (this charges the relay). A wire will be run from the battery to terminal 87. (this will power the fans when the relay is charged. e.g. when the ecu sends the signal to turn the fans on.) The power wire that you ran from the fan itself (2 wires soldered into one) will go to terminal 30/51. (the white wire charges the relay, opening it, the wire directly from the battery supplies power toterminal 30/51). To complete the circuit both the negative from the fan and terminal 85 need to be grounded... I would suggest grounding them directly at the battery. So to reiterate... battery wire goes to 87, stock fan harness (white wires) go to 86, power wire to fans go to 30/51, and terminal 85 and the fan itself need to be grounded... preferably at the battery... hope that helps brother.. if you need anything else just PM me or call