2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Intake On A 2.4L

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 11:53 PM
Default Intake On A 2.4L

I know this isin't the intake section but It is a 2g related question and I need a fast response.

Im am learning about my car little by little and I have a simple question. I have a 99 2.4L spyder NT. Im going to do the 1g 63 swap on the head, and after ill be putting an Big Evo 3 16G turbo. So the question is do turbo cars use intakes. Like actual intake like pipe and filter. Because I wanted to get one from K & N or Ingen but if they don't use them then ill be buying it for nothing. Any suggestions? Any other reccomended parts to get now? so far ive only been able to think of an intake.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:02 AM
Default RE: Intake On A 2.4L

yea they have an intake that pipes right into the turbo itself... heres a pic... you can see the filter on the left, and the pipe that goes straight down into the turbo... how's that for a fast response?? haha

Name:  o_85463.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  68.7 KB

Old 10-29-2007, 12:37 AM

also, if you wanna put that kind of turbo on i think it wouldnt be a bad idea to upgrade your internals of ur block... i dont think ur n/a internals can hold up that kind of power

Old 10-29-2007, 12:41 AM

So I don't buy the same part twice (becuase im not going to put the turbo on immediatly,) should I wait?

Ok let me get this straight. Pipe connects to turbo, Turbo connects to Filter? If I bought an intake (pipe n filter) I could connect it to my NT engine now and even after the swap (since most 63 parts fit on 64) so basically, after i put the turbo on the only thing (with the intake) i need to do is put the pipe into the turbo and the filter into the turbo? Right??

Or is there specific pipes for turbo's and NT?

If so then can I just get a filter for now until i get the turbo then ill get the pipe?

Im confused AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol. that was fast sk8. But i just need detail. Nice pic though and explanation but i have a couple more questions i need answerd.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:49 AM

yea, since you have a n/a car the air intake plumbs right into the intake manifold. So it goes filter, intake piping, intake manifold, etc... but with a turbo motor, the intake pipe plumbs right into the turbo, then from turbo to intercooler, then from intercooler to the intake manifold... make sense??

Name:  o_854632.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  71.3 KB

Old 10-29-2007, 01:03 AM

I had to read it like 5 times haha but yeh makes sense. So im safe buying an intake because ill be able to use it later. Is that any pipe? because i went to K&N's website and there was no intakes for my car or the 2.0. Now I just need help finding a good one. That will fit. Any suggestions?

Old 10-29-2007, 01:22 AM

no, you cant buy an intake for a n/a then re-use it for a turbo car. I'll show ya :-)...

See on this non-turboeclipse (420a motor)how the Cold Air Intake (CAI) plumbs straight to the intake manifold?
Name:  2307326_6_full.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  54.0 KB

and on this turbo eclipse (4g63 motor) the intake plumbs straight into the turbo?
Name:  2819740_10_full.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  58.1 KB

granted it is 2 different motors, but you should get the idea... you might as well wait until you turbo ur car to get ur intake, cause you'll buy one that you'll wind up either selling or throwing out later

Old 10-29-2007, 01:52 AM

im glad i don't have a 420a haha. Well I do need an air filter mines stock and dirty, Can I at least do that much? You know like the one in the first pic you posted. Like basically get rid of the air box and just add the cone shaped filter to it? So when i put on the turbo ill already have the filter ill just get the pipe.

like this?
Name:  spyder.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  79.4 KB
but with a cone filter at the end instead of the box. dont they sell adapters for a filter to fit on a OEM intake? because my air filter is done i need one ASAP so i cant wait till i do the turbo so i wanted to get a K&N filter but one i could use after to since i cant use the pipe.

Oh and where I drew the arrow where the coolant goes...where does that line go to because mine isin't connected to anything on that line.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: sk8dudety

also, if you wanna put that kind of turbo on i think it wouldnt be a bad idea to upgrade your internals of ur block... i dont think ur n/a internals can hold up that kind of power
actually the 4g64 block can handle boost fairly well

Old 10-29-2007, 09:17 AM

nah, you can get a replacement k&n air filter though, but you wont be able to use it on ur next intake, sorry bud... you can get a k&n replacement at auto zone or advance auto... and as far as that line, it doesnt go anywhere, thats an overflow tank, and if it gets to full it starts dumping out of that line. It's supposed to be there, hope that helps!

Quick Reply: Intake On A 2.4L