2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Intake whistle

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 12:22 AM
Default Intake whistle

i own a 1998 spyder gs-t. manual transmission. i purchased a injen intake, and also a a turboXS blow of valve. It sounds great most of the time, except for when i'm just driving normal, as in not giving it at all. once i get up to 4 rpm's it something makes a whistle sound and it seems like the car loses a little umf i guess u could say, however, if i give it, pedal to the floor, this doesn't happen at all and all the power is there. I've checked all the hoses and clamps, nothing seems to be lose, what could my problem be???

Old 03-06-2006, 12:35 AM
Default RE: Intake whistle

all i could think of is maybe something small is lose and when you go ***** to the wall the vacuum closes the little gap...is the intake brand new? all the hardwear new too?

Old 03-06-2006, 01:01 AM

Did you reset your computer after you installed the intake? You may need to do so...just unplug the battery and it will reset. May or may not help but that's all I can think of!

Old 03-06-2006, 01:17 AM

It loses no power that is in your head I think cause your hearing the sound now.... But that noise is the BOV I bet, you still have the stock BOV ir a 1G BOV they make a whistle noise really lightly under normal driving no gaing speed cause it is slightly open and whistles when you floor it the BOV closes and sound goes away untill the charge is released when you let out the gas.

Old 03-06-2006, 02:07 AM

sounds like u have a small boost leak. you cant just look for connections, you have to do a pressure test, google "boost leak test". but if it happened right around when you installed all that stuff, most likely you have a loose connection close to the stuff u installed

Old 03-06-2006, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator

You have a factory boost guage or aftermarket? I'd suggest getting an aftermarket boost guage and seeing exactly what the turbo is doing first... Then start checking for vacuum leaks but I think Emonz is likely right. It's all in your head. Just like when I drive w my mom and hit 6K rpm in st only doin like 15-20 MPH in a 35 zone and she tels me I need to slow down I'm going too fast only cuz the engine is revving high and she's not used to the sound. Understand what I mean?

Old 03-06-2006, 09:31 AM

I still say it is only the stock BOV come on you know it whistles under normal driving I need NESpeed or TheEngineer to come it here they both had the same thing on there DSMs. Normal driving the BOV has a slight constant whistle almost sounds like your pressing the braks and they are skeaking very softly.

And if it is the BOV it also explains why he couldnt hear it before the intake since you cant barley hear the BOV or spool on a stock air box

Old 03-06-2006, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

ok i guess i will post, i wasn't going to since it was already said by Emonz but yes it probably is just the bov doing its thing. With my intake i could get it to wistle while i had a light touch on the gas. I only had the 1g bov, so i'm sure with the turbo xs its just going to enhance that sound. I don't think its anything to worry about.

Old 03-06-2006, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

K I was merely going by what experience I have. I don't have any experience with turbos unfortunately. My Conquest is the first working turbo I have owned (My Sundance's turbo was froze LONG before I got the car). And the conquest doesn't have a BOV or BPV and doesn't run at the moment (Started tearing her apart the other day unfortunately keep running in to snags... like the stripped out screw that I can't get an impact driver on at all )

Old 03-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

[:@]DAMN rusted screws. That is the worst.

Quick Reply: Intake whistle