2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Intercooler Installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 05:18 PM
Default Intercooler Installation

Hey guys... as you guys can guess.. I got my FMIC! Loving it too. Very BIG! Its the one from Dejonpowerhouse for the 2nd gen.I know i posted this awhile back... maybe even years... LOL! But I think Engineer or Sanguinis (not sure if i spelled those right) said that it was ok to cut off that like/ tubing going across the radiator. It loops around and back the same way it came from. Well I was wandering if it was ok to cut it and put a hose somewhere else? Or is it there for a reason?

Old 01-19-2007, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Intercooler Installation

well if you remember fromm before it is there for the power steering cooling line. But its fine to just cut it. I had mine cut on the talon and never had a problem with the PS. So just cut both ends where you need tothen buy a rubber hose and small clamps and recconect the ends. You gonna have to replace some PS fluid after.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:30 PM

so what you are saying is that if i cut it I MIGHT have some power steering problems? But if i do cut it, then i will have to replace the power steering fluid? or did you mean fill it up more because i will lose some when cutting it?
Why is so long to begin with? Why couldnt they just have it short in the first place?

Old 01-19-2007, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

i have no idea why its so long. I guess they figured they needed it to be really cooled.

What i was saying is your gonna loose some i believe when you cut it. So youll just have to refill it.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:47 PM

Gotcha. Thanks man, I appreciate it. I'll take pics of it as soon as i finish!

Old 01-19-2007, 11:05 PM

Hurry up with the pics man!

Old 01-20-2007, 02:03 AM

No need to cut though, really. Just release the clamps and reroute/loop the existing rubber lines as per instructions. Don't toss the hardline that you just removed though. My buddy had to do what you are having to do and his power steering overheats...his power steering does act up when his car is warmed up and he's turning a lot.
I was suppose to remove mine and loop it back too, but it actually fit just fine, after I positioned it closer to the radiator bracket (it's centered between the fmic and radiator now) and I don't have issues like my buddy does. BTW, he regrets throwing his hardline away because of it.
Your fmic is 3" deep right or is it 3.5".

Old 01-20-2007, 02:37 AM

What do you mean deep?

By the way, I already cut it.....

Old 01-20-2007, 03:28 AM

What are the dimensions of your fmic?
What I mean by deep or it's depth, is from the front to the back of the fmic. Most are 3" now, some are more.
I have a 3" fmic, I didn't have to remove my power steering line. I also mounted the fmic as far forward as possible.

Old 01-20-2007, 05:38 AM

if you get into autocross, or start driving some really tight cornered roads, your power steering fluid will get really hot and become less useful. You should try and route the line somewhere else where its cool, or maybe look into power steering fluid coolers(tiny little radiators)

Quick Reply: Intercooler Installation